Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Why does my cast iron pan smoke?

New results on medium-high heat:
30 secs - 200
1 min - 260
1:30 - 330
2 min - 380
2:30 - 425
3 min - 460
3:30 - 500

I noticed my pan smoking around the 2:30 mark. Another interesting fact is that, at least over gas heat, the center of the pan is actually cooler than the outside, by about 30 degrees.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 AM

I have two pans (10" and 12"), the 12" DO, and the reversible griddle. I don't remember any of them smoking when I first used them. The pans seasoned easily. The DO won't season at all because I insist on slow-cooking really acidic stuff in it all the time, and the griddle is taking it's sweet time but making progress. It's not going to kill a relatively new pan to scrub the hell out of it and start over if it insists on smoking and adding funky tastes. I had my idiot housemates [censored] one of mine all up and I had to re-season it. Teflon is still far better for eggs. The cast iron will work, but unless you're really careful, cleanup can be harmful to the seasoned layer. Eggs are so sensitive to carryover heat anyway I like the cheapest nonstick pan I can find.

I'm nearly convinced that "don't ever use soap to clean cast iron" is more urban legend than fact. I clean mine with a touch of dish soap and I very light scrub. It leaves the season without also leaving a layer of grease that may or may not be rancid the next time I use the pan.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
New results on medium-high heat:
30 secs - 200
1 min - 260
1:30 - 330
2 min - 380
2:30 - 425
3 min - 460
3:30 - 500

I noticed my pan smoking around the 2:30 mark. Another interesting fact is that, at least over gas heat, the center of the pan is actually cooler than the outside, by about 30 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this - awesome information. I was wondering about this very thing yesterday but couldn't figure out a way to test it.

I had no idea they got so hot, so fast. So basiaclly, I probably am at or past the smoke point of these oils. I really didn't know I was dealing with so much heat so fast. Thanks...
Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 AM

Why does it smoke? because you never talked to it about smoking,

Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 AM

I have love for the iron skillet but I don't use it a ton, however doing jambalaya in an iron dutch oven was what won my heart...the way it coooks the meats in a jambalaya is beautiful to be watched the iron love on meats cajun style is second to none and those who do jambalaya know it's a sin without iron....try it out and thank me.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have love for the iron skillet but I don't use it a ton, however doing jambalaya in an iron dutch oven was what won my heart...the way it coooks the meats in a jambalaya is beautiful to be watched the iron love on meats cajun style is second to none and those who do jambalaya know it's a sin without iron....try it out and thank me.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG that sounds good.