Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Default playing overcards + nfd

villian is 22/15/2.5. I had been battling this guy aggressively over blinds and the sort (at 3 tables), seen him bet the whole way and show down a few UI a-highs, and caught him bluffing at me a few times.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

Results:
Final pot: 9.5BB

Does flop to turn look okay? Looking back at the villian's pf cap, maybe I don't have any reason to 3-bet flop and bet turn. At the time I figured that villian's cap was just a defensive response against my constant three-betting against his steals. Is this blatant spewing?

Also, c/f, c/c, or b/f river?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: playing overcards + nfd

I hate this. What exactly do you think is his preflop capping range? His PFR is only 15%.

I don't care how aggro this guy seems to you, or what your history with him is, I much prefer either c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn, or c/c'ing all the way down.

As played c/c'ing the river seems fine.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm check-calling this flop. A TAG player capped it PF and now you are playing him OOP. He is not going to fold anything to that flop bet, and he will raise you with a ton. You are ahead of such a tiny part of his range currently, and you don't have the equity to put in multiple bets.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this. What exactly do you think is his preflop capping range? His PFR is only 15%.

I don't care how aggro this guy seems to you, or what your history with him is, I much prefer either c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn, or c/c'ing all the way down.

As played c/c'ing the river seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check calling the river is insane. What exactly are you beating? Even AJ, KJ, KQ have pulled ahead.

I think doing anything other than check/calling this flop is costing you money. If the turn looks scary and he really like to fold I might c/r, but my normal line is going to be ch/ca, ch/ca, and decide.

Edit. On this particular board, I fold the river if he bets even if I've played it passively.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:02 PM

He will never fold to a flop bet. I call down. I don't try to be tricky
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He will never fold to a flop bet. I call down. I don't try to be tricky

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just like to repeat how bad I think it is to call this river no matter how you played the hand.

Also, because this is a TAG 3 betting from the SB his capping range is probably a lot wider than it normally is because he knows you are a TAG and are 3 betting a lot from the SB, and to everyone not capping wider from the steal in this situation I recommend you try it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 PM

My line here is to bet/call flop and then check-raise the turn. That might take care of AK and some small pairs, plus you get an extra bet when you get called and hit on the river.

But I don't do this every time. Mostly I check-raise the flop here and bet the turn. As played, just call the flop raise, check/call the turn, check/fold river.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Check/calling the river is simply abysmal.

Name me a hand you can beat. If he DID have A8s, he is going to check behind anyway.