Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Ask kyleb about old-school video games (or coin-ops)

I had this idea some time ago here, and it worked out rather well. Some people have suggested I run the thread again, so, I'm bringing it back. In good Ask Me fashion, I'll be around for the next 1.5 hours or so to field all the questions you have, then I'll review tomorrow afternoon and catch up on the more important ones that I missed.

Now, I know a LOT about NES/SNES/Genesis/Playstation/N64/Dreamcast, and a good amount about XBox/PS2 and newer (but not too much more than a serious hobbyist).

I also know a significant amount about coin-op machines, having run a few arcades (read: Not "I worked a minwage changemaking job") in my time.

So, coin-op questions are preferred, but I'll take old console questions too. My knowledge of Atari is somewhat on the weak side, but anything Nintendo/Genesis era is fair game.

Have at it!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Ask kyleb about old-school video games (or coin-ops)

How hard is it to put PacMan in the arrangement of man + ghosts so I can go take a break and leave the game running?
-Sam
Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 AM

Are there any games where 1 player just gets too good, and the house has to ask him to leave?

Similarly, is it EVER possible to get SO good at an arcade game that it can be +EV with those little prize tickets? Are there professional skee-ball players out there?
-Sam
Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How hard is it to put PacMan in the arrangement of man + ghosts so I can go take a break and leave the game running?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this even possible? I've never heard of this in any of the PacMan versions, including the Split-Screen level.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any games where 1 player just gets too good, and the house has to ask him to leave? I suppose this relates to my pacman question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Typically these players bring in other players since they are the "pros" of the arcade, and they even get "fans." Example of this in my arcade included dominant Street Fighter 2 players, Tekken Tag Tournament players, and Soulcaliber II players.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 AM

Where is the best place to buy used arcades? (online)
Old 10-23-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this even possible? I've never heard of this in any of the PacMan versions, including the Split-Screen level.

[/ QUOTE ]
Boo. Wikipedia even mentions it.[ QUOTE ]
Pac-Man may go upwards into (and stop in) the corner immediately to the right and above his starting location facing upwards. When the ghosts are not closely pursuing him, they will never find him, and instead will roam aimlessly around the board until Pac-Man leaves that spot. This trick is used by marathon Pac-Man players to allow themselves an occasional bathroom break.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2006, 01:39 AM

Bah, never knew that. I am embarassed.

To be fair, I am only 23 years old, and I never ran arcades when Pac-Man was the big hit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the best place to buy used arcades? (online)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had some success with Ebay, actually. However, I prefer to go through local and regional retailers to test the machines out before purchasing them - especially if they are uncommon games. Most of my major purchases went through the retailer Tilt.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 AM

Okay, we all know there was the regular edition of Street Fighter, Championship edition, etc. but I remember a version at my local pizza parlor where you could throw as many fireballs as you wanted without having to wait for one to go off the screen. Not only that, you could throw them in the air and keep jumping up afterwards, enabling you to go to the top of the screen, at which point you'd reappear at the bottom. Jumping over your opponent and pressing a fierce button would also initiate a throw without actually making contact. Do you know this version of Street Fighter? There was also another variation at another place where fireballs would fly in a zigzag formation.

I actually did a lot of searching online and the closest version I found was the "Hyper Fighting" hack on the MAME console. Not the same.