Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Cardplayer Reports STARS IS IN!

I think you are overestimating Party in your post.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokerstars.com/legislation/uigea/

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the text of the message (since it is short)...

<<
PokerStars.com - Our business continues as before

Dear PokerStars Player -

As you are probably aware, the United States Congress recently enacted the Safe Port Act which contains provisions relating to Internet gambling.

PokerStars has received extensive expert advice from within and outside the U.S. which concluded that these provisions do not alter the U.S. legal situation with respect to online poker. Furthermore it is important to emphasize that the Act does not in any way prohibit you from playing online poker.

Therefore, our business continues as before - open to players worldwide including the US. You may play on our site as you did prior to the Act.

PokerStars believes that poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of players and we remain committed to providing you a safe and fun environment in which to play. We value your loyalty to PokerStars, and look forward to continuing to serve you with the best online poker experience, as we have for the past five years, six billion hands, and 40 million tournaments.

PokerStars Management
>>
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM

Awesome post, man! You got me fired up! I, along with many, will be joining you at the polls next month and voting Democrats across the board.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome post, man! You got me fired up! I, along with many, will be joining you at the polls next month and voting Democrats across the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should review the document that shows who voted for HR4411...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 AM

Speaking as someone with very libertarian political beliefs, even poker isn't enough to make me vote for freedom-hating liberal Democrats. They oppose nearly everything I stand for, and I oppose nearly everything they stand for. I'm just grateful that there's almost no chance they'll gain control of both houses of congress. That and the fact that Hillary is trailing Giuliani by 7 points for 2008.

Congrats to Stars on making the right decision, though. This makes me happy.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as someone with very libertarian political beliefs, even poker isn't enough to make me vote for freedom-hating liberal Democrats. They oppose nearly everything I stand for, and I oppose nearly everything they stand for. I'm just grateful that there's almost no chance they'll gain control of both houses of congress. That and the fact that Hillary is trailing Giuliani by 7 points for 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am pretty much on the same boat here. The only Democrat I will be voting for is the Attorney General since the Republican incumbent is bat [censored] insane. Other then that it's libertarian or no vote for me.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 AM

I think trying to inject your personal politics into this site is just a brilliant move. I think it's very easy to convince people on a sports or gambling site to change their beliefs to match yours, and it's really appropriate to the topic as well. If someone wants to talk about voting against someone who backed this bill, I'd say that's on topic. If someone wants to say "I like liberals/conservatives better than liberal/conservatives," I'd say it isn't. So why start up that path?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 AM

There is no need to stereotype all christians as crazy, or as supporting this bill. That is behavior similar to the very people you are attempting to chastise. It is the same as them looking at all poker players as lower class, gambling addicts, who need legislation to save them from themselves. I am a christian, a conservative, and a poker player. I, like everyone else, should be encouraged to think independently about each and every issue brought before me in life, and decide for myself what I support. This newfound I will never support christians or conservatives on any issue ever attitude is narrow-minded at best. I am against this legislation and was initially as angry at the republicans as you, but I will not use this opinion on this one issue, to launch into a political witch hunt of all conservatives and christians for years to come based on this. People who do such a thing are becoming but a tool and a pawn for the other side of politics. So I suppose in the end it is your decision, as it is with every day of your life...you can choose to be a leader, or a pawn
Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should review the document that shows who voted for HR4411...

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Breakdown
Democrat Republican Independent
Aye 115 200 1
Nay 76 17 0
Absent 10 12 0

link
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no need to stereotype all christians as crazy, or as supporting this bill. That is behavior similar to the very people you are attempting to chastise. It is the same as them looking at all poker players as lower class, gambling addicts, who need legislation to save them from themselves. I am a christian, a conservative, and a poker player. I, like everyone else, should be encouraged to think independently about each and every issue brought before me in life, and decide for myself what I support. This newfound I will never support christians or conservatives on any issue ever attitude is narrow-minded at best. I am against this legislation and was initially as angry at the republicans as you, but I will not use this opinion on this one issue, to launch into a political witch hunt of all conservatives and christians for years to come based on this. People who do such a thing are becoming but a tool and a pawn for the other side of politics. So I suppose in the end it is your decision, as it is with every day of your life...you can choose to be a leader, or a pawn
my newly created page

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Closed Thread