Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold tells

[ QUOTE ]
To all the people who think all of Jamie Gold's tells were so obvious: why did good players stumble against him so often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously, we could SEE his cards and associate his actions with the cards he really held. If anyone in a hand with him folded before showdon, they didn't get to see whether they were bluffed or whether the hand was legit!

Also, we are all better than those final table chumps.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To all the people who think all of Jamie Gold's tells were so obvious: why did good players stumble against him so often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause have you ever seen such a LUCKBOX?
The critical final two table hands are beyond belief.

Pokerxfactor has a ratings system for luck called “bluff” where 50% is average (higher is better). If I uploaded Gold’s I bet it would be 95% and or just break and my screen would flash LUCKBOX….
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Personally, I think people here are too hard on the guy. Sure he caught a bunch of cards, but he extracted a ton of value out of those hands, made timely bluffs, got caught bluffing enough where his great hands were paid off, and IMO played some good poker. There are plenty of douches that win the ME, but it isn't a freakin popularity contest... He was verbally getting his opponents to do what he wanted to do. I know this is going to get flamed here, so FLAME ON...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:21 PM

Are you serious? He's that lucky because he won some 3 to 1s? You obviously missed some of moneymaker's winnings 88 vs AA allin on flop or Raymer's quick calls with 1010 vs AA allin pf. He luck boxed the 78 hand vs Prahlad but that was for an insignificant amount of chips. He won a 50/50 with Cunningham. And he got lucky that someone folded a SF draw but he was bluffing and got caught and won with an OESD, god I've never seen that before????

He outplayed people and did more than some of the other winners have done over the last couple of years. Didn't Hachem luck box the Q8 hand vs 99 to stay in the tourney? I don't think Jamie is the best player ever but I don't think he was a total luck box either. He outplayed his opponents from time to time and had a good run of cards. Thing is, they showed most of the hands he was involved in, they didn't show the many hands that were decided PF nor the hands that were "boring." They showed the champ in action. Don't blame Gold, blame ESPN. Also don't blame Gold for pulling obvious LRR and getting overpushed by weaker hands every time. They never believed him even when he had it because of how he was playing. Obviously a great way to play when you have a huge lead.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed another tell of his...

When his lips are moving, that indicates that something annoying and douchbaggish is being said.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! nice...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He outplayed people and did more than some of the other winners have done over the last couple of years. Didn't Hachem luck box the Q8 hand vs 99 to stay in the tourney? I don't think Jamie is the best player ever but I don't think he was a total luck box either. He outplayed his opponents from time to time and had a good run of cards. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a good run of cards?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

With a hand: he talks big, acts weak

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have pointed out, he said, "I love my hand" several times when he had a very strong hand. I actually don't remember him acting weak when he had a strong hand post-flop. Pre-flop, he'd limp or make a small raise with Queens. But if he made a hand on the flop, he acted strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I caused so much confusion. What I meant was he talks strong and acts (ie. body language) weak. He did this many times and he even admitted acting weak with QQ vs. Lee's JJ in an interiew. He also said "I got you, I'll show, etc." many times with a hand (and sometimes without) and while he was saying this he often was speaking like he was very uninterested in the hand.

On the contrary, with a big bluff of his K high vs. Prahlad's 7's I think, he was basically exclaiming, "Geez, you got me...I can't believe it"...etc. etc. while he was actively walking around the table.

I think his biggest talk weak/act strong example was against Cunningham's ace high call (correct me if I'm thinking of a different hand). The board came out pretty ragged and paired, 883 or something. Jamie says something like "I really don't like that flop, that totally missed me" and proceeds to firmly push two stacks and some extra on top into the pot (I noticed many times when he was strong he'd casually fling chips in, but maybe this is just due to color -ups). Anyway, Jamie proceeds to do his check behind on the turn, try the bluff again on the river garbage and his unpaired 54 is no good.

This all makes sense for Gold, who was essentially playing very backwards poker. Some things weren't backwards but just loose: raising with big hands plus a few wild cards preflop, calling with virtually anything else. But in general Gold's strategy was something like do whatever the book tells you not to do. I guess he's more likely to win a tournament that big than a by-the-book player is.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:45 PM

Generally, I think you are correct. But most people aren't going to agree (willingly at least), because it is difficult to compliment someone when the person under discussion is an annoying braggart. It's far easier for me to acknowledge a good move by Varkonyi or Moneymaker, because they had some humility and respected the game. From the numerous comments he has made in interviews so far, Jamie Gold comes across as an obnoxious jerk who thinks he's reinvented the game of poker. One listen to the interview he gave on "Rounders" will make you want to lose your lunch.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Not only was he getting cards but his opponents were also getting big hands so he got lots of action. I puked in my mouth a little when he told chan "i am gonna trap all of them".
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 PM

aside from gold being a douschebag, it's interesting to see how the players allowed the table talk to affect their play. for the most part it seemed that every player allowed the table talk to impact their play against him...