Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 PM

Default \"Jerry Falwell is more dangerous to America than Osama Bin Laden\"

I just watched Sam Seder, co-host of Air America's "Majority Report," unconvincingly argue this point on tonight's episode of Tucker on MSNBC.

He is actually arguing that the world's most wanted man, undisputed heavyweight champion of global jihad, and principle culprit in the murder of 3,000 Americans is less dangerous to America than a dime a dozen Christian Fundamentalist. WTF?

I think if the Left wants to be taken more serious in dealing with the global threat of Islamist extremist murderers, it would do well to have its principle voices argue from more tenable positions than the one above. Fortunately, I'm sure we safely can count on the more liberal 2+2 posting contingent to acknowledge the absurdity of Seder's statement.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: \"Jerry Falwell is more dangerous to America than Osama Bin Laden\"

I think if the Left wants to be taken more serious in dealing with the global threat of Islamist extremist murderers, it would do well to have its principle voices argue from more tenable positions than the one above. Fortunately, I'm sure we safely can count on the more liberal 2+2 posting contingent to acknowledge the absurdity of Seder's statement.

How the hell is the 'Left' supposed to control what a media personality says? You think smart right-wing folks are on the phone telling Rush or Ann Coulter to stop being morons?

Cable news networks, particularly those 3rd in the ratings race, will invite anyone who'll say anything that might be controversial.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam Seder

[/ QUOTE ]

!=

[ QUOTE ]
the Left

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
its principle voices

[/ QUOTE ]

I've honestly never even heard of this guy. I mean, I'm sure he's a leftist, but I think it's quite a stretch to call him one of its principle voices.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM

Bison,

Unfortunately statements like this are becoming quite common among the Air America/Moveon.org/Daily Koz/George Soros crowd. This isn't to say people on the right like Ann Coulter and her off the wall statements are worth any defense either. I'm simply saying that statements such as Seder's are an enormous turn off to the greater American Public and tend to cloud any legitimate positions or arguements that the many more intellectually even keeled members of the Left would like to advance.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm simply saying that statements such as Seder's are an enormous turn off to the greater American Public

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said yourself -- it's MoveOn and AirAmerica. They don't cater to the greater American public. Their message isn't for Joe Schmoe, and they're not around to convert Bob Right-Winger to their cause.

I'll give the right all the credit in the world for what they do correctly -- retail politics isn't about converting people. Grover Norquist doesn't slip talking points to Rush Limbaugh with the hopes he's going to appeal to the middle, and rightly so. Retail politics is about activating people. That you're aghast MoveOn only appeals to rabid partisans and not the general public is confusing because, despite being a Notre Dame fan (zing!), I have much respect your intelligence and general lucidity as a poster in the other forums. To repeat: it's MoveOn. It's DailyKos. It's Michael Moore. Their message isn't for you, and they're not trying to convince you they're right. That they seem outrageous to you (if you're not a leftist) speaks all that much to their effectiveness. That they make you angry is all the more reason leftists enjoy them, buy their products, and donate their hard earned money to them. And the same goes for the similar organizations and talking heads on the right and the partisans who support them. Do you see why?

Go Blue
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cable news networks, particularly those 3rd in the ratings race, will invite anyone who'll say anything that might be controversial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It is discouraging to watch some of the horrible guests that are featured on some of the cable news programs. They invite the most radical/stupid/ignorant guests they can find to create controversy. It makes me appreciate CSPAN's call in programs that much more.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 PM

O RLY

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!
-- Rev Jerry Falwell, America Can Be Saved, 1979 pp. 52-53, from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom"

The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible,without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etc.

There is no separation of church and state. Modern US Supreme Courts have raped the Constitution and raped the Christian faith and raped the churches by misinterpreting what the Founders had in mind in the First Amendment to the Constitution.
-- Jerry Falwell (attributed: source unknown)

--------

if the argument was all fundamentalists, I'd say whatever, - but comparing one Fundamentalist to Another is like comparing different types of mushrooms - they look different but both are poisonous - to society, to the soul, and to America.

I feel it's not that far off the mark - neither man has power over the United States but both are trying to seize it for themselves in the name of God - pretty similar to me.

and the body tally suggests that fundamentalist Christianity has killed just as many as fundamentalist islam - so no biggie there - 50K Iraqi's in exchange for 3K Americans? - but it's in Jesus' name so it's ok.

rb
Old 09-15-2006, 10:32 PM

Falwell and Bin Laden are both insane. Sure they have differences, but the bottom line is the same: they're both nutjobs who think that God speaks directly to them.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
O RLY

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!
-- Rev Jerry Falwell, America Can Be Saved, 1979 pp. 52-53, from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom"

The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible,without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etc.

There is no separation of church and state. Modern US Supreme Courts have raped the Constitution and raped the Christian faith and raped the churches by misinterpreting what the Founders had in mind in the First Amendment to the Constitution.
-- Jerry Falwell (attributed: source unknown)

--------

if the argument was all fundamentalists, I'd say whatever, - but comparing one Fundamentalist to Another is like comparing different types of mushrooms - they look different but both are poisonous - to society, to the soul, and to America.

I feel it's not that far off the mark - neither man has power over the United States but both are trying to seize it for themselves in the name of God - pretty similar to me.

and the body tally suggests that fundamentalist Christianity has killed just as many as fundamentalist islam - so no biggie there - 50K Iraqi's in exchange for 3K Americans? - but it's in Jesus' name so it's ok.

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bush has the blessing of Jesus to invade Iraq to enrich his buddies by getting business for the military industrial complex and simultaneously raising oil prices which of course also enrich his buddies. Good thing he is able to have oil prices plummet prior to the election, therefore most adverse electoral consequences of his conquests can be mitigated, and he and his incumbent buddies can maintain their power. I think I'm slowly learning Whiskey, thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:45 PM

We need to throw out the illuminati controlled cabal that is the republican/democratic party.