Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Calling all DARTS ringers...

So I decided that I want to get really good at darts. Not like professional calibur, but enough to hit T20s with some regularity and be able to go close out more than just single-dart combinations in 501. These are completely arbitrary goals, but I really enjoy the game and would love to be able to obliterate casual players.

1-- I have no idea the correct technique for throwing a dart. I have fairly good coordination and don't completely suck at the game, but shockingly I've never had a darts lesson (if they exist). So maybe one of you local ringers can impart some technique pointers. There may not be a lot to it beyond practice and consistency, but the pros definitely seem to spin the darts some (which I've failed miserably attempting to replicate) and all seem to have similar stances/ routines. Any/all advice is welcome.

2-- Because real dart boards are much cooler than electronic ones, I feel like investing in a real board. But that leaves open a million questions about the kinds and weights of darts to get. I assume that it's mostly a matter of personal feel, but recommendations here couldn't hurt (also places to buy boards/darts would be helpful).

3-- General hustling tips and tactics, since if the WSOD on ESPN causes 1/1000th of the explosion that the WSOP did for poker, I wanna be one of the first to cash in on the wave of stupid amateurs. In any case I want to work over my family and friends.

There have to be at least a handful of darts hardasses browsing OOT, so let's hear from you.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Calling all DARTS ringers...

I was in a dart league about 11 years ago. We used to smoke a big fattie beforehand and drink 3-4 pitchers of beer while playing. We were the only 21-22 year olds playing, everyone else was like 30+.

Can't help you though, we used electronic boards and plastic tip darts. However it was good times and I think we got 3rd out of 18 teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darts
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM

A dart snob, huh? I had a lot of fun shooting the plastic tipped variety in league and nightly tournaments. I was what is known as a sandbagger. I couldn't begin to tell you the proper way to throw a dart, but I was pretty good. So a couple of my dart throwing buddies saw me shoot and asked me to join their team. I did and they told me to aim to the left of the bullseye until they gave me the go ahead. I did this and would get very angry with myself when I accidentally hit the bull. One of my teammates pulled me aside and told me that I should pretend to be happy when I hit it. Oops. We took 9th in the state tourney that year. I made several hundered $$$ playing nightly tourneys in bars, not necessarily sandbagging. I would tally my score for the first few rounds and go with whatever rating I earned. I could never throw those steel-tipped darts accurately. Which ever way you go, just have fun. Dart players are some of the most whiny biches I ever met.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Why were you aiming for the bullseye?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:15 PM

Check to see if there is a real dart shop in your area. If there is they will have a large selection of darts and shaft combinations with boards set up to try the darts.

Look for a 90/10 (90% tungstin 10% nickle)this is your best darts, small for their weight. Weights vary per personal preference when starting. 30 grams very heavy 15 very light. The better you get the lighter the dart you will want because of size. The trip 20 is a small area for 3 darts.

There is no right or wrong style it's what feels good to you. Consistancy and least movement of your body helps.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Sorry for the derail, but it's related:

I've kind of been wanting to get a decent dart board and some darts to have at my house. What should I look for, how much should I expect to spend, etc?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Anyone every played butt darts?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM

for darts, get some smart darts

http://www.dartsmarts.com

for training, u can buy wire things that are supposed to help u key in on the 20s and such

that website has some good articles and links for info on improving as well
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the derail, but it's related:

I've kind of been wanting to get a decent dart board and some darts to have at my house. What should I look for, how much should I expect to spend, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice bristle board is probalby $25. I love the one I have.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone every played butt darts?

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me LOL. What is wrong with me?