Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
 is offline

Default My Turn I Guess.... Taking A Break From the Game (Maybe For Good)?

I don't feel like rambling, so I'll be brief, though I do welcome lenghty responses and advice.

I have a problem. I feel I am an above average and winning tournament player. I am, however, a psychotic NL cash game player (only online, really). i.e., I just had back to back losing sessions that total somewhere near $20K. And yes, $20K is a boatload for me. Were the cards running bad? Yeah, I guess... but that doesn't change the fact that when they do, I tilt like a maniac.

So, in short, my problem is that tournaments are my game, but I don't really have time to play them regularly since I work 60 hour weeks. That leads me to play NL cash games. Sometimes I play really well, but no matter how much I hate to admit it, I am prone to monkey-tilt.

I was about to cash out every cent from Party and Stars, but figured I'd come here first. Someone talk some sense into me and give me advice that makes sense. Because honestly, the only thing that sounds like a good idea at the moment is to just stop playing for a while... a long while.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: My Turn I Guess.... Taking A Break From the Game (Maybe For Good)?

want $20 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM

and SnGs take too much time?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM

serious advise:

dont play cash until you can get a furthered grasp of the game to contorl yourself. consider coaching.

also, if tournaments are your thing but you dislike MTT's, SNGs are always there.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 PM

ouch. for us to better understand what losing 20K means to you maybe you could tell us the state of your bankroll?

also, what stakes were you playing? and are you even a winning NL cash player at the stakes lower than what you were playing?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 PM
 is offline

Roll = ~45K before these losses.

Lost 10K at 10/20 NL about a month ago (never should have been there in the first placed), and 8K at 5/10 tonight.

I made the mistake of thinking I was ready for 5/10 just because my roll was.

I'm definitely very losing at 5/10 and above, but am pretty sure I am winning at 3/6 and below.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM

Only play when you have time to complete an MTT - even if that is only 2-3 times a month. Seriously.

I know there are certain types of games and certain conditions that do not favor my skills, temperment, etc. - I avoid those games & conditions.

This may come off as a little harsh/cold, but really this is probably the kind of advice you need right now (IMO).
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM

Rob,
Seriously take a break for like a week. Even 3-4 days. If you lose a lot in cash games then dont play them. Turn to another form of poker like SNGs or MTTs. You are a good MTT'er (see 2006 WSOP) and SNGs can be fun too and once you buyin you buyin so you dont need to worry about losing a ton really quickly. I think that might be your answer in the long run and it will allow you to keep playing the game.
~Justin
Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 PM

Short on time? STT's are the way to go. Speed STT's don;t take long at all.

60-hour work week? I got regular hours at a job, my commute is average of 1.5 hours one way (I drive most of it), I have a 20-month old and having a second child on the way. I play 12-20 MTT's per week (I often opt for smaller fields, 3-5 LARGE FIELDS per week maybe).

Oh yeah, and stay away from the cas games, or drop a level or two.

Also - buy and read "THE TAO OF POKER" - the only book I've sen so far that addresses mental and emotional aspects of winning/losing and things like that.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I made the mistake of thinking I was ready for 5/10 just because my roll was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely very losing at 5/10 and above, but am pretty sure I am winning at 3/6 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I presented you with 2 slot machines, and one had a guaranteed payout of 110% and the other of 90% which would you chose?

If your ego is making decisions that your bankroll can't handle, then don't let it make those decisions.

You always have a choice of what to play. If you feel like you don't have a choice, quit playing for a while and talk to some people who understand that feeling.

Regards,
Woodguy