Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Default looking for leaks

I have been struggling beating the 1/2 6-handed game at PP for a while and have tried to tweak my game post-flop varying my aggression when I don't connect but haven't seen any real improvement on my win-rate. Very frustrating as this game at PP is full of very poor players just giving their money away.

Have listed my general PT stats below after 14K hands hoping someone can spot something. I can provide more detail if needed. Potential leaks I thought of:

- Too low pfr% at 12%. Leads to loss of pots where noone connects and preflop raiser can take down pot on the flop.

- Too few preflop steals at 23%. Still +EV left in hands like Q9o and T9s which I currently fold in a steal position.

- I use continuation bets 80% of the time HU and 50% of the time when 3-handed to the flop. If I get called and have nothing except A-high I check the turn 80% of the time which means people often bet the river and I find myself making some difficult decisions. Should I be more aggressive?

- At 47% I fold too often to river bets.

- My table selection is virtually non-existent. Sometimes I leave a table if it's too tight or things are not working out, but I often stick around to prove to myself I can beat the table

- My seat selection is random. Whatever seat is open I use and never move unless I leave the table.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Thanks!

Hands: 14K
Winrate: -1.62BB/100
VPIP: 26.76%
PFR: 12.02%
VPIP (SB): 36.10%
Fold SB/steal: 86.73%
Fold BB/steal: 52.10%
Steal blinds: 22.68%
W$WSF: 33.06%
WSD: 30.10%
Won$SD: 55.74%
Aggress. flop: 2.55
Aggress. turn: 2.45
Aggress. river: 1.49
Fold to riv.bet: 47.08%
Old 07-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: looking for leaks

I agree with you that you should be more aggressive on the turn with loose peelers, of which there are many at 1/2. Another benefit to this is you won't get checkraised that much on the turn at this limit, so you can bet and check behind on the river (usually a better alternative to checking the turn and calling the river). That said, if you do check behind the turn a lot, you should be calling more rivers. This is board dependent, but in the long run it will pan out.

Basically you should be raising preflop a lot more, probably around 17-19. Other than that most stuff is either fine or will follow with increased PFR.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 PM

C-betting the turn is so crucial shorthanded. One example:

You raise AJo in the CO and the BB calls. You miss a T 4 2 flop but bet and he calls. The turn is a 7. He checks to you. The major fear that I always have in this spot is, "oh no, what if I get checkraised!?! what on earth will I do?!?" But you have to think, what type of hands will he c/r you with here? Would he do it with 88o? Would he do it with TJo? Would he do it with A9o? Maybe not for all of these. You will get check-raised a very small amount of the time by an average player. You will get called a good amount of the time by an average player with KQ (you're ahead) and A2 (you're behind). And you get get an average player to fold a hand like 67o a good amount of the time.

Now, of course if you put a lot more drawing potential out there you might want to slow down, but I think that not betting here enough is probably a big leak for a lot of players who are trying to play tight poker. It is the rare player who will check-raise you with air here - and if he does, he might have AQ-AK some % of that time.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the valuable advise...the posts are paying instant dividends. Played a 1000 hands and cleared ~100 bets so far.

My pfr% combined with better continuation bets on the turn and even river is yielding a truckload of 3-5 bet pots that add up nicely over time.

Increased steal% to ~30% which appears very profitable as well. Once I see people respecting my pfr stealing from the SB starts paying off really well.

Poker is lot more fun when played this way...thanks!