Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Default 5 Books Everybody Should Read

This can be different than what you think are the greatest 5 books, so this isn't a GOAT (greatest of all-time) but a post about books that you feel are important and should be read by all, maybe that goes hand in hand...oh well. Here's my list:

1. Blood Meridian- Cormac McCarthy (Greatest living American author)

2. Ulysses- James Joyce (Not many books rival the impact that this one had on literature. There is even a day--Bloomsday--celebrated in honor of the main character. The banned publications, errors, incredible vocabulary of 30,000 words and its introduction of "stream of conciousness" writing makes this book as important as any book ever)

3. The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho (Inspirational, each line seems to have wisdom and he seems to do it without pretention)

4. In Cold Blood- Truman Capote (Greatest Non-fiction book ever written)

5. Johnny Got His Gun- Dalton Trumbo (The essay on war at the end is something everyone, IMO, should read. Plus his background and his genius make this book a must read)

List your additions...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: 5 Books Everybody Should Read

Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. A great book by a great writer, making science and its methods accessible while capturing the sense of wonder.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 PM

That is a good list. I would like to know how many out there have read "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy? It is rightfully regarded as one of the greatest novels and pieces of history together and should be required reading by anyone who considers themselves well read. But perhaps the length throws some people off.

So throw that and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky onto the list as well.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:11 AM

I tried to like In Cold Blood and I simply hated the book and found it torturous to read and I gave up after about 100 pages. I really wanted to like the book and I just couldnt. The book moves at such an incredibly slow pace and I kept waiting for there to be some payoff..some buildup or something worthwhile. I can't think of another book that I didnt finish.

I mean this is all seriousness - what is so good about this book?

funny - I asked Mrs. Utah if this post sounded stupid and she confessed that she couldn't make it through the book either.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 AM

1. Huckleberry Finn
2. Crime and Punishment
3. All Quiet on the Western Front
4. The Catcher in the Rye
5. The Fountainhead
Old 07-16-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to like In Cold Blood and I simply hated the book and found it torturous to read and I gave up after about 100 pages. I really wanted to like the book and I just couldnt. The book moves at such an incredibly slow pace and I kept waiting for there to be some payoff..some buildup or something worthwhile. I can't think of another book that I didnt finish.

I mean this is all seriousness - what is so good about this book?

funny - I asked Mrs. Utah if this post sounded stupid and she confessed that she couldn't make it through the book either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was greatly dissapointed, also. As far as true crime goes, Helter Skelter is light-years better.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:40 AM

The Bible
Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Utah- I love the way Truman Capote writes and I am not in the minority here, this doesn't mean you have to though and there is nothing wrong with not liking ICB. I can't stand Ayn Rand and it seems that everybody and their brother worships the ground she walks on, this is fine as art is impartial. As for "In Cold Blood," the first time I read it I found myself completely attached to sociopaths and murderers and finding it within myself to have feelings for these cretins, b/c of Capote. I loved the relationship between Truman and the killers and the effects and changes you see amongst everyone in the book. I never found this book to be boring and found it very emotional to be honest, I read it a second time and felt the same way.

Lets see your list!

pokerspite- That is your opinion but I just can't see how that can be correct, even if you think it is better there is no way it is "light years" better, could you maybe exaggerating a little bit? I obviously don't think "Helter Skelter" is as good as ICB but we all have our interests.

Give us your list as well!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:04 AM

tdarko,
I've been known to use a bit of hyperbole.

Anyhow, though Bugliosi certainly isn't the writer that Capote is, his story is just way (maybe not light years) more interesting. For that genre, I just think its a much better book. This certainly is a matter of opinion and not fact.

I'll submit my list manana. It's getting late.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 AM

Paulo Coelho

This guy has a gigantic section in the book store. Ive picked up a couple of them and they have all looked terrible.