Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Running Windows on a MacBook Pro 17\"

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] will a mod please move this to the computer help forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit the for you.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

whats the resolution on the mac workbook pro? is the new best poker laptop? is it a pain switiching from XP to apples OS?

and ive heard that apples are alot safer from viruses and stuff but does this till apply when using XP on it?

sorry for the hijack
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Talk to Tron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could help but I have no idea about registration keys or Service Packs. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well do you think it would be a problem to use someone elses cd to put windows on my computer?
does microsoft even check that?
and if they do, do you think i could just put in my info on my windows purchase and do it?
i dont care if you cant give factual answers, i just need some assumptions to go off of so i dont frantically go buy windows before it gets here or something dumb like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a license to run windows XP. Assuming they are the same version (retail vs. OEM vs. MSDN vs educational vs. DELL OEM) then it shouldn't be a problem.

You can probably call up microsoft if you still have your license and get a new disk with SP2.

Otherwise you can copy your CD to your computer in a new folder and slipstream XPSP2 to make a new CD. There are probably instructions on the internet. Google "windows XP SP2 slipstream" without the quotes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the resolution on the mac workbook pro? is the new best poker laptop? is it a pain switiching from XP to apples OS?

and ive heard that apples are alot safer from viruses and stuff but does this till apply when using XP on it?

sorry for the hijack

[/ QUOTE ]

Mac OSX is safer from viruses, because fewer virus writers have attacked it. The vulnerability of WinXP is not dependent on what hardware it is running on. So a Mac running Windows is just as vulnerable as any other Windows system.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:45 PM

k i talked to someone about my previous question and got it answered, now i just need a single disc install of windows XP with sp2 already on it, no update CD or earlier version allowed.

Does ANYONE know what you have to buy to get this CD?
Because i have a ton of friends getting college laptops and they all seem to not get the actual windows xp install disc with it somehow. Is purchasing windows XP at a store the only way to get the disc, or should at least someone i know have it who recently purchased a new computer?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 PM

You have an install disc with XP/SP1. Download SP2 from Microsoft. Then follow the build instructions here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

FWIW, I have a 15" MacBook Pro with a Windows partition (created via Boot Camp, as I was not aware of the Parallels VM-ware when I did my setup), and I *love* this machine. Yes, you have to reboot to run Windows, but when you do, it runs just as you would expect it to. Also, the process where Boot Camp creates the correct Windows drivers for you and saves them to a CD could not be easier.

Enjoy your new computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have an install disc with XP/SP1. Download SP2 from Microsoft. Then follow the build instructions here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

FWIW, I have a 15" MacBook Pro with a Windows partition (created via Boot Camp, as I was not aware of the Parallels VM-ware when I did my setup), and I *love* this machine. Yes, you have to reboot to run Windows, but when you do, it runs just as you would expect it to. Also, the process where Boot Camp creates the correct Windows drivers for you and saves them to a CD could not be easier.

Enjoy your new computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2 week old 15" mb pro and I LOVE IT

it was 3k but worth every single penny. it runs windows and partypoker/pt/pahud flawlessly. you will get a couple of kinks in the first couple days you run windows because the driver package the apple designed isnt quite 100% perfect. for example, under the initial setup if you plug headphones into the jack it wont stop sound from coming through the speakers, so you cant run it in a quiet environment. i solved this by searching some messageboards and finding the right drivers. i also had trouble setting up my fp2001 on it, the desktop was showing up horizontally for some reason, but I was able to fix that.

other than one or two things like that, it is great. the actual laptop is very thin and light, and the screen is excellent. the book runs totally quiet, there is no fan noise.

basically, if you heard about the new intel line and thought "wow that might be the perfect setup for me, i wonder if it can legitimately run windows for real, is the bootcamp system a viable alternative?", the answer is yes. its great, i love this computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:48 AM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

wats the resolution on the 17'? and i curious if u guys are just web browsing and dont plan on playing poker do you use apples software or just use windows?
sorry i suck at computers
Old 06-30-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wats the resolution on the 17'? and i curious if u guys are just web browsing and dont plan on playing poker do you use apples software or just use windows?
sorry i suck at computers

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of buying a Mac is to stop using windows completely. That's the beauty of parallels - use windows for poker only, OSX for everything else.

Damn, I want a new computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:45 PM

so is OSX that much better than windows? so buying a mac noteboook just to play poker prolly isnt worth it?