Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Fisher on my property: Now I am scared for my dog

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fisher is hardly a pest. Hopefully it will kill off all the red squirrels on my property.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you have against squirrels? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Red squirrels are a real pest. They chew on pipes and electrical wires. They caused a flood in my house last year from chewing through my water pipes. They can cause fires by chewing on electical wires. They also build nests in car engines.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I didn't know a fisher was endangered species.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wisconsin DNR:

Fisher
Permits required
Trapping Only:
* Various Zones - Oct. 14 - Dec. 31, 2006

Recipe

Cats - Friend or Food (don't view if squeamish)
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that the fisher is a protected species so shooting it is out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is endangered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should this stop you. Go ahead and shoot it, they taste like a cross between a bald eagle and whooping crane.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 AM

fisher wont kill too many red squirrels likely. but a pine marten will certainly.
a fisher is so neet i would love to have one on my place. i have only gotten to see them a few times in my life and wouldnt trade it for anything. your dog isnt going to get killed by the fisher as they dont take on stuff thats going to hurt them like a wolverine will. they may get a beaver or a muskrat though. i would worry about coyotes getting your dog as they will lure it to them and kill it. dont let your dog roam if you want to keep it for long. a dog that roams ends up chasing deer sooner or later and someone seeing that will shoot your dog as most states allow you to shoot domestic animals harrassing wildlife. and rightly so.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fisher is hardly a pest. Hopefully it will kill off all the red squirrels on my property.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Red squirrels are a real pest. They chew on pipes and electrical wires. They caused a flood in my house last year from chewing through my water pipes. They can cause fires by chewing on electical wires. They also build nests in car engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think there would special ways to squirrel-proof your house if you live out in the wild. Were those metal water pipes?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think there would special ways to squirrel-proof your house if you live out in the wild. Were those metal water pipes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never underestimate the red squirrel. They are as smart as Mason Malmuth, are as devious as David Sklansky, and have the ninja reflexes of Ray Zee.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I ran into a fisher on my land today so I decieded to look them up on Wiki and found some disturbing info on them. From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Occasionally, fishers can kill dogs as large as Labrador Retrievers, Alaskan Malamutes and German Shepherd Dogs. This trait is not unique to New England. Fisher attacks on domestic pets in the vicinity of forested areas is well documented throughout their range. Their attacks can be sudden and deadly, in spite of the presence of nearby human protectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiki Link

This sucks. What do I do now about my dog? He has free reign about my land should I just risk it and let him continue to roam about as usual or do I pen him in? I have about 200 feet of river front property and I have noticed a ton of clam shells and cray fish exoskeletons littered along the shore for a while now, so it seems like the fisher is living on my land.

Shot in the dark but anyone dealt with fishers before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fisher cats can be VERY dangerous! They are territorial and will defend their territory vigorously against any size intruder.

I had a similar experience years ago (I live in New England)

Young son (at the time) was down by the stream on our property and he encountered a fisher cat. Son froze in fear, as the fisher reared up and challenged him. I saw all of this from a distance and started to run towards the encounter. Our 135 lb. Golden (yup, he was a BIG Golden) got there first. He got right in the fishers face and fortunately backed the cat down to where he went into a hole in a stone wall.....phew!

If I were you, I would immediately call the Mass. Fish & Game Dept. and see if they can trap & move the fisher.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I didn't have Nazi neighbors I would have already shot the woodpeckers and beavers and crows that live in my backyard.

Can you shoot the fisher? Seems like the best solution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do your neighbors let you wipe your ass after taking a dump?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 AM

go out into the woods and capture a wolverine...set it loose in near the fisher's den. Videotape it fighting and killing the fisher...post on youtube.
Then shoot the wolverine.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Clearly we should've included one of these fisher things in the animal survivor tournament. I also wonder how many five yuear olds one of them could take?