Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 AM

Default The dreaded turn check raise leak

Hey, think I'll give you a little background before the meat of the post. I have been playing poker for about a year on and off. I play mostly 1-2 online nowadays. Right now over the last 28k hands or so I am breaking even which is a bit obscured by the fact that i have basically tilted off 500-700 playing up to 10-20 over the last couple weeks. I think I have identified a leak in my game which gets me on tilt and is very costly. Let me see how you guys would play these hands.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: The dreaded turn check raise leak

All of these things would be easier if you had reads. Without reads, I call down most of the time.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM

ditto, I have a hard time answering w/o reads..
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Definitely reads, but what really irritated me was on the 2nd hand we have AKs and you don't tell us what suits the board has or our hand is. Can make a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 AM

In every hand, if you're behind, you're nearly dead, so I think it's a question of whether the odds that you're ahead are better than the pot odds of calling down. The only way to accurately estimate the sole unknown variable, the odds that you are still ahead of the checkraiser, is with reads + boards. No reads, so it's hard to answer any of these.

Hand 1 looks like two pair vs. an unknown; I'm assuming you're playing against an early limper or BB. Are they passive, or would they have 3-bet PF or raised the flop with AJ? Are they loose enough to be playing J7? Is JJ a possibility?

Hand 2, again, reads. With no caller before the turn CR, pot's 7.5:1 immediate; 8.5:2 on a call-down. If it's an LPP c/r'ing, I doubt we're good the 1 in 5.25 we need (is my math right?) Against a LAG who might be bluffing the scary card or raising a smaller K, I'd lean towards calling down, especially if BB's donating some overlay.

Hand 3: Is villian loose enough to limp JTs UTG, or would a tighter player think current table conditions favored a limp in EP anyway? Would they slowplay? Unless someone's bluffing a gutshot, I think it's 2 pair or better pretty often. Getting 6.75:1 to call now, 7.75:2 to showdown. A straight means you're dead; two pair gives you... 8 outs (six to pair a safe card; two aces); a set means two outs. Without a read otherwise, I don't like the odds.

Hand 4: See hand two. Can you read for bluffing a scary card? Lone big spade getting aggy?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 AM

i call all cause passive poker is winning poker
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 AM

These questions are really hard to answer with this little information.

1. How aggressive is the opponent? (and other reads)
2. What are the exact suits of the board? (Could it be a semi-bluff?)
Old 06-06-2006, 03:54 PM

You really go on tilt if you get check raised?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM

I am going to once again renew my objection to the spurious use of polls on this board, and call for the formation of a blue-ribbon panel to investigate. This case is particularly offensive, as a) OP is using a poll in a thinly-veiled attempt to slip a whine post past us, and b) even if it was serious the poll format eliminates much of the information we need to have to review hands. C'mon, people.

SAVE THE MICROS
Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM

w/o reads, i fold 1-2-3, as people who we beat are more prone to raise the flop than the turn, and don't expect the bettor to fold that much.

However, the semi bluff check raise that hand 4 provides makes me call down for whatever reason.