Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: How to Meditate.

Thanks, last question. Whould/Could/Should you do this while on any kind of Drugs (Anything intoxicating, cold medz, pain killers, pot, alchol etc etc)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, last question. Whould/Could/Should you do this while on any kind of Drugs (Anything intoxicating, cold medz, pain killers, pot, alchol etc etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything particular you have in mind?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 AM

More of a general question, but more specifically marijuana. Like does it in hance the effect or dampen it? Is it more of how the drug effects you?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More of a general question, but more specifically marijuana. Like does it in hance the effect or dampen it? Is it more of how the drug effects you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried. Go for your life. Let me know how it plays out.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 AM

Is your form of meditation from any specific religious or philosiphy? How do different, cultures and relgions vary on the methods of meditation? For example in my thread about moving to Shaolin the monks have a meditation room but I don't know that it would be dark or a room for an individual, will this effect the way I can meditate or how I should focus my meditation.

Thanks for your thread very interesting stuff.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your form of meditation from any specific religious or philosiphy? How do different, cultures and relgions vary on the methods of meditation? For example in my thread about moving to Shaolin the monks have a meditation room but I don't know that it would be dark or a room for an individual, will this effect the way I can meditate or how I should focus my meditation.

Thanks for your thread very interesting stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your Shaolin temple idea is awesome. I'd love to do that as well, particularly as I used to practise Wing Chung.

The meditation that I practise has it's roots in Indian culture. This includes meditation using music and chanting which can be very effective but far too involved to go into here. You could well find this type of meditation in the Shaolin temple.

I have meditated in a dark room by myself. I have meditated in a large, bright hall with 500 other people. The technique is always the same. With other people around you who are effective meditators, their energy can help you in quite amazing ways.

If in the end you're serious about meditation and you are a neophyte, then the best course of action is to find a guide. Where you're going, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Have you heard of "Deepak Chopra: the soul of healing meditations" ? I got it as a gift from someone a while back. I tried it once and I was totally discouraged by how detached I felt. Interested in what you think of it though.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard of "Deepak Chopra: the soul of healing meditations" ? I got it as a gift from someone a while back. I tried it once and I was totally discouraged by how detached I felt. Interested in what you think of it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was witness to that gentlemen throwing a temper tantrum due to 'only' 8500 tickets being sold for one of his seminars. From that point on I avoided his work.

I must also say, after having worked in the industry, that the vast majority of new-age books and courses are utter crap. They feed on peoples hopes and dreams. The few good ones are very, very good though.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM

meditation can be many things including all three of the things you said it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Meditation is the act of stilling your mind, of ceasing to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

it can be but doesn't have to be.

my favorite way to describe meditation is it's a tool for changing the habitual patterns of mind.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Taking up meditation is one of the thing on my list for when I go pro. I figure the emotional balance/stability is worth a few K a year. Thanks for the primer.

Krishan