Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Avoid Alienware (semi-OT)

This is a computer post, but I wanted the zoo traffic to see this.

I've been an Alienware laptop owner for a little over 3 months now and I have dreaded nearly every day of it. I want to keep you from experiencing the frustration and loss of productivity that I have experienced.

One day after about 3 weeks of use, my laptop just refused to turn on. I spent 4 hours on the phone with a technical agent only for him to tell me that I needed to send it in to the manufacturer. I received it back about a MONTH later- my video card and several other things were faulty. This wouldn't be so incredibly horrible except for the fact that this means no (poker) income.

Just last week my Alienware broke. AGAIN. The backlight does not come on meaning I have a Very dark monitor that is only barely visible at a very sharp angle. I have placed in the order right when it broke but I doubt it will get here before I leave my University for Christmas break.

There are many other downsides to this machine. I only wish I could get a refund. First of all is the portability of the machine. It weighs over 20 lbs and has a battery life of ~45 minutes (on a good day). Also, it gets scorching hot on the part where your wrists lay.

In summary, Alienware should be avoided at all costs because it has proven to be a sub-standard peice of junk.

Reef
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Avoid Alienware (semi-OT)

I second this - Alienware is a lot of hype; not only did I overpay for my desktop 3 years ago (their "cutting edge" system meant paying $1500 more for an extra fan, fancy wire bundles, overclocking and other useless crap), but literally two days after my one-year warranty expired the motherboard fried. Customer service was useless, and that's if you can understand the idiots they have working for them in Florida.

Should have gone with Dell XPS instead (half the cost and 10x more reliable) or built my own machine if I had the time.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I second this - Alienware is a lot of hype; not only did I overpay for my desktop 3 years ago (their "cutting edge" system meant paying $1500 more for an extra fan, fancy wire bundles, overclocking and other useless crap), but literally two days after my one-year warranty expired the motherboard fried. Customer service was useless, and that's if you can understand the idiots they have working for them in Florida.

Should have gone with Dell XPS instead (half the cost and 10x more reliable) or built my own machine if I had the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to break it to you but dell is garbage as well.

Get a custom build. You will save money and get a better system.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 AM

I LOVE DELL, I'm on my 3rd dell desktop and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 AM

Not that I need to even add to the fire but I had a friend buy an Alienware desktop and he had nothing but trouble from the system and from support.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really easy to put together a machine yourself, buying whatever parts you want, and is cheaper as well.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really easy to put together a machine yourself, buying whatever parts you want, and is cheaper as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have a monitor and an OS to use it can be a little cheaper, if you don't it is usually more expensive to build your own.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 PM

Good to know Alienware is really Vaporware. I've always wanted to get one...before I learned how to build my own pcs.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:33 PM

heh, wrong usage of vaporware. Anyway, to OP, I thought you were a computer guy! You bought a POS alienware?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 PM

You're right. I have "my" way with words. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]