Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 01:12 AM

Default I want a healthy lifestyle

I volunteered to go on a week long cycling tour with my brother in law this summer and I need to start getting ready for it.

I'm not in peak physical condition.

I'm probably 10-15 pounds overweight, (5'10, about 185ish).

My diet consists of crap.

I'm looking to use the upcoming bicycle trip to inspire me to eat healthier, lose weight, and get into better shape.

For me the hardest part is going to be changing my diet.

I would like to be one of those people who is repulsed by fast food.

I want to become a health nut and thus avoid having a massive cardio infarction before my 35th birthday.

Any tips, advice, words of encouragement, etc., would be great.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: I want a healthy lifestyle

Stop eating fast food, start cycling. Done.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I didn't think of this.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I didn't think of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll elaborate. Just like Ron mentioned above with cutting out sweets, just stop eating fast food. After not eating it for a few weeks, you will feel like s*** after eating a Big Mac or whatever. The quickest diet improvement you can make is to cut out the crap. And the cycling will help with the fitness and weight loss. People are always making it more complicated than it needs to be. Just do the simple things and you will see results.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:58 AM

If you stop putting salt and butter on potatoes and vegetables, you will discover that they actually have quite interesting tastes of their own. If you do eat packaged, processed foods, check the nutrition facts. Some of the processed foods have horrendous amounts of fat, sugar, and sodium, and some are much better (and this is true even within varieties of the same brand). Fill your cart with fresh fruits and veggies. Now that the veggies are all washed and peeled and ready to eat, there's really no excuse not to eat them. Fresh fruits are also cut up and ready to eat, so you don't have to struggle with trying to cut up pineapples and have a garbage can filled with watermelon rinds. A standard meat portion is 2-4 oz. and for fish it's 6 oz. You don't need more than that--fill the rest of the plate with veggies. Watch the cheese. Most cheeses are both high in fat and high in sodium. If you look around you can find some decent ones which are healthier. There are whole grain cereals around which do not have added sugar--the different grains actually have tastes. Who knew?

BTW you can get the nutrition facts for all the dishes served in fast food and chain restaurants. When you see the facts (calories, carbs, fat, sodium), you won't want to eat that kind of food any more. I mean 2000 calories in those fried onion mums--that's a whole day's worth right there.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 AM

One day I decided I was going to stop eating so many sweets. I didn't eat anything with sugar or corn syrup added to it for two weeks. Then one afternoon I was really hungry at work and the only thing I could eat was candy from a vending machine. I took one bite of a Milky Way bar and got sick because it was so sweet.

Try it. It works with salty food too.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One day I decided I was going to stop eating so many sweets. I didn't eat anything with sugar or corn syrup added to it for two weeks. Then one afternoon I was really hungry at work and the only thing I could eat was candy from a vending machine. I took one bite of a Milky Way bar and got sick because it was so sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I think I would be able to make a better go at eating healthier if I could just think of a lot of different healthy things to eat. I mean, I don't mind eating oatmeal and tuna fish, but it gets old after awhile, and then the next thing I know I'm at Burgerville and it's all over.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I think I would be able to make a better go at eating healthier if I could just think of a lot of different healthy things to eat. I mean, I don't mind eating oatmeal and tuna fish, but it gets old after awhile, and then the next thing I know I'm at Burgerville and it's all over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, oatmeal and tuna fish?

Get your ass down to the grocery store, son!

Here's a handy list you can start with:

eggs
yogurt
sliced turkey
chix breast
whole grain bread
mustard
baby carrots
crackers
oranges
cheddar cheese
pasta and pasta sauce
fig newtons
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at Burgerville and it's all over.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that the battle is not the "Burgerville" part but the "all over" part? You wont stick to a diet perfectly for ever because you're human, not perfect. The battle is right after you go off your diet. Just because you go to burgerville doesn't mean it has to be "all over" but your psychy is waging psychological warfare against you by demanding impossible perfection. Well, you just wage psychological warfare right back and after you go to burgerville once get right back on your diet and claim victory. This is how you change old eating habits permanently.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:03 PM

Another question.

Can I eat as much fruit and veggies as I want to?