Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Champions League

Apparently there are enough football fans around here to generate a decent discussion so:

Benfica 0 - 0 Barcelona
Barça missed plenty of easy goals a got a little lucky in a referee decision that could have costed them the game. They're still pretty clear favourites to go through even though Benfica had a nice defensive game and missed a couple of chances too.

Arsenal 2 - 0 Juventus
Arsenal dominated from start to finish and could have decided the whole thing right there. I'd say they're about 80% favourites to go through.

Inter - Villareal
I think Inter will have a hard time but will eventually go on to the semis.

Lyon - Milan
Two of the strongest teams in europe right now (imo), I'm looking forward to two great games and I won't try to guess a winner.

Thoughts, predictions?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Champions League

Inter- Villareal

Thats a tough call, Inter's going to miss Figo. It all depends on Adriano i guess.

Lyon- Milan

I agree, should be two great games. I look for Milan to advance ( big surprise )

Did anyone see Spurs and West Brom yesterday. I was hoping for them to drop three, but Robbie came up big
Old 03-28-2006, 09:06 PM

I didn't see it because I had to show a potential student around, but according to Spanish press Barcelona seriously let Benfica off the hook.

Arsenal are looking like the clear favorites to win it all. I could see them struggling against Barcelona, but only if the Catalans can get it going again. They've been struggling of late relative to a couple months ago.

Lyon - Milan should be a great match. I always think it's better to play on the road first so that would give Milan the edge. Should be good though.

Villarreal are struggling in Spain to qualify for the UEFA cup. They're one of those teams that has played better in this competition than domestically, and also have benefitted from some good draws. At some point it's got to end, I see them going this round.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Arsenal, Barca, Lyon, Inter.

But hey, Benfica went into Anfield up 1-0 and scored anyway. You never know.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM

I think Barca is gonna crush benfica next match, and Arsenal would really REALLY need to have a collapse to lose to Juve.

Villareal's time is up IMO. However, italian teams love losing easy matches so who knows.

Milan are stronger than Lyon i think, and I would be somewhat surprised to see Lyon win.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Barca is gonna crush benfica next match

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be really surprised if the game is horribly one-sided.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 PM

I think you're right on, here.

I placed a bet on Lyon to title, before the round of 16, so, obviously, I hope they prevail.
I also consider the Inter-Villa match to be between the two weakest clubs of the eight remaining. Whichever advances is finished in the semis.

Fifield
Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 PM

crap, and we got inter/villareal. I'd much rather watch milan/lyon. ESPN dropped the ball on this one. This game was good for the first 20 minutes, now its reverted to what I thought it would be like.

I hope that Lyon beat Milan. They have consistently been one of the best teams in europe for the past few years, but just haven't broken through and have had that big run in the champions league
Old 03-29-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right on, here.

I placed a bet on Lyon to title, before the round of 16, so, obviously, I hope they prevail.
I also consider the Inter-Villa match to be between the two weakest clubs of the eight remaining. Whichever advances is finished in the semis.

Fifield

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember you said this about Rangers - Villarreal in the round of 16 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Villarreal have gotten seriously lucky in their draws so far. Next round there are no easy draws though should they advance now.

Jared