Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Best book for learning 7stud?

I'm thinking of switching to limit hold 'em to 7stud. Could anyone recommend a good book to start with? I was thinking about 7CSFAP, but think it might be too advanced to start with.

Suggestions?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Best book for learning 7stud?

start with 7-Card Stud : 42 Lessons How to Win at Medium & Lower Limits by Roy West. then read Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee.

with the hold 'em explosion why switch? it is good to learn to play different games, but the hold 'em games are so good right now.

a game to learn might be omaha.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
start with 7-Card Stud : 42 Lessons How to Win at Medium & Lower Limits by Roy West. then read Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do them both and in that order. Oh and check out the Stud forum...you are going to have more people who know more about stud there...

---Leavenfish
Old 03-26-2006, 12:31 AM

if you are going to play split games then add;
High-Low Split Poker, Seven Card Stud and Omaha Eight or Better for Advanced Players by Ray Zee
Old 03-27-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with the hold 'em explosion why switch? it is good to learn to play different games, but the hold 'em games are so good right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've played any 30 or 75 stud in AC lately, you'd realize the game is quite profitable to learn. At high limits, the play at stud tables is much weaker than at comparable hold em tables in my experience (this refers only to live play). Plus, variance is lower (not in terms of suckouts, but in money swings in my experience). Of course, good money can be made at both and I still play more hold em than stud overall - this is just my take though as it applies to where I play.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2006, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, variance is lower (not in terms of suckouts, but in money swings in my experience).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that stud was a higher variance game due to the extra round of betting. Is this not true?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, variance is lower (not in terms of suckouts, but in money swings in my experience).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that stud was a higher variance game due to the extra round of betting. Is this not true?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I have always heard that as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 PM

Here's why stud rewards the good player more than he:

1) Exposed cards give you more information to work with in reading hands. Simply being able to remember what's out gives you an edge over some players!

2. Extra round of betting favors the good player in two ways: 1. It gives you better implied odds to limp in early and mix it up. 2 It gives you one more street to extract full value from bad players.

The big edge that hold'em has is that it's the game of choice for almost all the new/fishy players
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM

The reason there is more "variance" in stud doesn't have to do with the extra round of betting really. It's more because A) the river card is dealt down (thus forcing you to pay off bets you wouldn't have to in hold em and causing you to miss some thin bets you'd make in hold em) and B) the fact that it's not a shared board game so suckouts are more frequent. For example, if you have AA in a hold em game and someone else has pocket sixes, it is hard for them to end up beating you. Also, say you have AK and the board is A 7 2 and you're against someone with A9 in hold em. It's tough for them to suck out. In stud, pair verse pair scenarios allow for more suckouts.

That said, I find there to be less variance in stud due to several other factors: generally less aggressive play and fewer opponents with any real skill even at high levels (I refer only to Atlantic City for this); many opponents who like to let free cards slide off; many opponents who will only raise later streets with a total boardlock, allowing you to always know where you're at; many opponents who won't bet the river without a monster; the fact that while there is more info to process than hold em and you have to pay much more attention, once you process the data, the decision is usually easy. This contrasts hold em where there are many more strategic gray areas.

I can go on and on, but I won't. I love both games for different reasons, but in my experience something like 75-150 stud is FAR less swingy and "easier" to beat than a typical 80-160 hold em game.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason there is more "variance" in stud doesn't have to do with the extra round of betting really. It's more because A) the river card is dealt down (thus forcing you to pay off bets you wouldn't have to in hold em and causing you to miss some thin bets you'd make in hold em) and B) the fact that it's not a shared board game so suckouts are more frequent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, since you apparently know what you speak of, this is quite surprising. My understanding from reading Mason's essays was that it's not so much the difference in structure between stud and hold'em that causes variance, but rather the size of the antes. Since low limit stud has a small ante, it has small variance, and since high limit stud has higher antes, it has higher variance. In essence high limit stud becomes more of a showdown contest, which gives no one an advantage.

(caveats: (1) I have barely played any stud. (2) There's a chance I'm misunderstanding what Mason wrote. (3) In all likelihood, I can resolve your statements with Mason's by positing that some of the high limit 7stud players today must really be atrocious, then, compared to the hold'em players)