Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 PM

Default PP30/60 rasie/fold that I rarely try.....good spot?

Villian is unknown, which means he either just changed his handle or is taking a shot. My image cannot be great as cant win at the table and have been a victim of some retarded suckouts vs some terrible players.

Villian limps UTG+1, regular TAG raises MP1 and I three bet AdKd on the botton. Blind fold, both call.

Flop 3,7,10 rainbow (1 spade). Villian leads, regular folds, I raise and he calls.

Turn is As. Villian donks and I just call. Obviously a raise is possible here. I was thinking I may have him crushed or maybe he turned two pair. I would let him hang himself if I was ahead.

River is the 7s completing the runner flush draw. He bets, I raise planning to fold to the 3 bet.

I almost never make this kind of play and have been looking for safe spots that make sense for it. Good spot? just call river? call three bet? raise turn instead?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: PP30/60 rasie/fold that I rarely try.....good spot?

Why did you raise the flop?

Rob
Old 03-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Had the regular called I would not have rasied. But given that it was HU I like the raise here. I three bet preflop, so villian is less likely to three bet me with his 1 pair (if he has one). I do think I have fold equity against a pair here on the turn if I decide to bet.

IMO, flat calling here HU on this board is not so great. I would pay an extra half bet to get to s.d. the majority of the time; I have no fold equity and I know very little about his hand. IF a 9 or something falls on the turn I just want to fold after his lead, and I am folding the best hand too often there. I just do not feel like it is a good way to play this hand.

Had, the middle guy called, it is a totally different situation since I feel okay with folding a lot of turns where I miss and it goes bet, call.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Overall it looks good, though I would probably end up paying off a river 3-bet, especially in the Party 30 against an unknown.

I think flop raise is fine in your situation. Occasionally though I will flat call the flop, and raise him on a blank turn card and take a free showdown if I don't improve, probably buys you more fold equity this way, but costs an extra sb.

When you turn the ace raising also fine, but I see your thinking about the flat call, makes sense, only real draw to worry about would be like 98.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall it looks good, though I would probably end up paying off a river 3-bet, especially in the Party 30 against an unknown.

I think flop raise is fine in your situation. Occasionally though I will flat call the flop, and raise him on a blank turn card and take a free showdown if I don't improve, probably buys you more fold equity this way, but costs an extra sb.

When you turn the ace raising also fine, but I see your thinking about the flat call, makes sense, only real draw to worry about would be like 98.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I play the turn the same as you and rasie most bricks for the free s.d. if he donks me after my flop rasie. I think I can get some folds of second or third pair that way. However, if I flat call the flop I don't think I have any fold equity on the turn rasie becasue it looks like what it is - a free sd play.

If I get checked to on the turn, and I decide to bet (which is probably around 70% of the time), and I get c/r'ed, I feel comfortable folding (or drawing if I have the odds and folding the river).
Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if I flat call the flop I don't think I have any fold equity on the turn rasie becasue it looks like what it is - a free sd play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will do this with an overpair too, ideally before I make this play. But yeah, it is hard to get anybody to fold anything in that game.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think I have fold equity against a pair here on the turn if I decide to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, especially on this board, I don't think that's really all that likely. I do agree that you don't get 3-bet often but I think you find yourself spewing chips more often than is necessary, and you still face turn bets a lot when you miss. You don't know where he is, you don't know where you are, and you don't know your equity, but raising doesn't seem to clarify any of that very often.

Rob
Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do think I have fold equity against a pair here on the turn if I decide to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, especially on this board, I don't think that's really all that likely. I do agree that you don't get 3-bet often but I think you find yourself spewing chips more often than is necessary, and you still face turn bets a lot when you miss. You don't know where he is, you don't know where you are, and you don't know your equity, but raising doesn't seem to clarify any of that very often.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree here. I have noticed that I get a decent number of folds with a turn bet here if the turn card looks like it might be good for me. Sometimes I will get donked on the turn anyway, then I raise again and get the fold then. The only time I really get hurt is when villian is really aggressive and will three bet the flop or turn with middle pair anyway. This is pretty rare after my preflop 3 bet. Had I only 2 bet preflop, I think there is more value to only calling the flop. In this casee, IMO, if I only call the flop I am giving up on this hand and will never with without hitting and A or K.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:03 PM

I think your river play is good as he will pay off with worse A's, but you have to fold if he 3-bets. Sometimes I make this play and say "ok I am folding to a 3-bet," then he 3-bets and I pay off like a slot machine out of frusteration or some random reason.

SGS
Old 03-16-2006, 02:56 AM

I'd call a raise without too much hesitation.