Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Fear of Flying

Hey everyone,

Basically, I'm a candy-ass and I have developed a pretty huge fear of flying. It's a new thing (started probably about 2 years ago) and I'm not sure why I have it or how it came about.

The problem is that I am going on my honeymoon in a few weeks and I'm going to be taking 2 8-hour plane trips to the Carribean and back. I'm obviously fired up for the vacation, but I get some pretty overwhelming anxiety when I have to fly.

I'm planning on going to my doctor and having him prescribe some goofballs for me to get through this thing, but I'd like to address the problem if possible. I'm also not real excited about bringing pills to a foreign country, prescribed or not.

Is there anyone out there who has gotten over this fear? If so, how did you do it? Do you have any recommendations for helping me get over it? If you don't have any suggestions and you just want to belittle me for being such a pansy, that's fine too.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Fear of Flying

Just close the window and go to sleep.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 PM

It's weird, I have been flying my shole life and had never gotten afraid...until about two years ago.

For some reason, I have developed this irrational fear of take-off. I literally can't stand it. My heart races and my knuckles turn white from gripping the hand rest. I try and distract myself by reading but then I can't keep track of what's going on with the plane. So I end up staring out the window, sure that the engines are going to fail and we'll plunge back to the eaerth just as we're trying to climb free of it's bonds...

Once we're high enough up, I'm fine. Same with landing. No problems there. But for some damn reason nowadays, takeoff is scaring the bejeesus out of me.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM

i've flown a bunch myself and have been getting a little freaked lately, mostly on the takeoff too. i get this odd feeling like the plane is gonna just drop. if youre doctor is remotely cool he will give you some valium.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Thats funny since the takeoff seems like the least dangerous part of the flying..
Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 PM

what is the consecutive streak of safe flights? 362,890 or something? think of it that way.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the consecutive streak of safe flights? 362,890 or something? think of it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

logic has nothing to do with an irrational fear.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Well takeoff is the most dangerous part of a flight (followed closely by landing). If something "bad" happens during one of these phases there is just not much time for a pilot to react. Altitude gives a pilot a margin of error.

Losing an engine during takeoff is not really a big deal, it will delay your trip as the pilot returns to the airport to get a new plane but airplanes are designed to be flightworthy with a single engine failure.

I've seen statistics that show the chances of being killed on any given commercial flight are between 1 in 10 million and 1 in 50 million. Of course the bad beat in this case is really -EV.

Logic may have nothing to do with an irrational fear, but it can help one to overcome it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who reads this stat and thinks it makes it MORE likely that something's going to happen soon?

Dom, I'm the same way with takeoffs. I related a story here about a plane I was in sucking a bird into an engine on takeoff, and ever since then I'm a wreck on takeoff.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who reads this stat and thinks it makes it MORE likely that something's going to happen soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic Gambler's Fallacy.