Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Default The Big Ten Network

Sorry if you have talked about this before, I don't normally post in this forum. I searched and found nothing.

Has anyone missed a good college football game because their cable network doesn't have the big ten network? Wisconsin fans are going to miss the UW/OSU game this weekend. And the UW coach sounds surprisingly nonchalant that the usually supportive fan base is getting screwed:

http://uwbadgers.com/video/default.aspx?mid=1326

I'm not calling anyone to request the Big Ten Network. In fact I feel like calling my cable company and telling them I will drop cable if they raise my prices to include it. And I like college football, but I wonder if the Big Ten Network is overestimating the amount of people who will pay extra to see it. Thoughts? Your experiences?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: The Big Ten Network

The BTN is asking for the second highest rights fee in the country after ESPN for a station that practically no one will watch outside of football gamedays. I think the cable companies should tell them to take a hike as well. That said, because of the BTN, I've only been able to watch one Northwestern game this year. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BTN is asking for the second highest rights fee in the country after ESPN for a station that practically no one will watch outside of football gamedays. I think the cable companies should tell them to take a hike as well. That said, because of the BTN, I've only been able to watch one Northwestern game this year. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The BTN has always maintained that the rate is negotiable. Also, they are a Regional Sports Network (RSN) and I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of other RSNs with similar carriage fees (I think Comcast owns some of them in fact). Plus, they are only asking for the $1.10 in the states where the BTN has a footprint. Outside of those states the asking price is said to be $.10 per household.

Both parties are being dishonest about their intentions. Comcast is being dishonest AND hypocritical as damianac pointed out. Comcast's "we're protecting our customers" campaign is pretty LOL. In the end, it's the fans that get really hosed. Hopefully there's a big push from the midwest during basketball season.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link on RSN carriage fees. Please note Comcast Sports Net Chicago's $1.90 fee. Weird, Comcast didn't mention that, did they?

RSN Fees
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM

there have been some big Illinois games missed in Chicago and Champaign/Urbana already

comcast is getting crushed in Chicago...with bball season coming, lots of Illini and other big11ten fans (plenty of Indiana and Michigan St fans in the area) bolting to dish network and directv

comcast is getting slaughtered around these parts now

I understand both sides of the argument

I don't like the move as a whole for the Big11Ten. No matter the strength of the conference, the big11ten has historically been the most visible. I'm worried that ESPN/ABC family might not be so happy when negotiating future long-term contracts.

I hate the freaking network, because they've done it poorly.
1) There should be a pay-for web feed (I'd pay for that and so would most others)....the only reason there isn't is the back-room deals and contracts
2) the BigTenNetwork has stuck with 11AM CST starts for most of its games even when broadcasting multiple games in a day
11AM sucks for stadium environment, tail-gating, student lifestyles, etc
The Big11Ten was traditionally a 1PM local start with moves for tv. Ridiculous that the conference's own network leads to such crappy starting times.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Indiana is having its best season in 14 years and its been more or less ignored in Bloomington because only 1 of the 9 games they have played thus far has been on TV here.
Over the last 5 years the university has sunk tons of money and effort in to PR to get people interested in the football team. Now that they're actually decent its going to waste because of the big ten network.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM

Go to bar and watch it and quit crying.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been able to watch one Northwestern game this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag.

[ QUOTE ]
Indiana is having its best season in 14 years and its been more or less ignored in Bloomington because only 1 of the 9 games they have played thus far has been on TV here.
Over the last 5 years the university has sunk tons of money and effort in to PR to get people interested in the football team. Now that they're actually decent its going to waste because of the big ten network.

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke, I commute up to West Laf. a lot and here (my home), there, and everywhere it seems like I can't watch IU games. Not that I'd usually want to, but like you said, best season in ever (hey how's about one more win, it'd be nice to get a bowl game after last year) and they won't put the games on.

Cody
Old 11-02-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) the BigTenNetwork has stuck with 11AM CST starts for most of its games even when broadcasting multiple games in a day
11AM sucks for stadium environment, tail-gating, student lifestyles, etc
The Big11Ten was traditionally a 1PM local start with moves for tv. Ridiculous that the conference's own network leads to such crappy starting times.

[/ QUOTE ]
It just occurred to me that its probably part of the Big 10's contract with ABC that they not schedule games that conflict with the national 3:30 and 8PM games.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Look for there to be more fallout as other conferences think about following the Big11Ten's lead. The MWC has its own channel now (The Mountain) and the satellites are not biting on that one (I am hearing commercials in town begging you to call your satellite company to tell them to pick it up.... um no thanks). To me it's going to be interesting to see what the conference channels do with the March to September timeframe. That's half a year of most likely junk.