Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM

Default All-in decisions

I play mostly $5 and $10 STT at a particularly loose site. I avoid going on tilt by simply analysing my play and deciding if I made the correct decision or not, and if I get beaten I never think of it as a bad beat, but an opportunity if I come across that player again. It helps me to keep a positive attitude.

However, I've lost a few all-in decisions lately and so I think I need to analyse my play. What comments can you guys make on this particular hand.

6 of 10 remaining
Blinds 25/50 (NLHE)
UTG raises to 100 with a stack of about 3000
CO calls with a stack of about 4000
I'm on the button with KK and raise to 500 with a stack of about 3000
Blinds, UTG fold, CO calls.

Flop is 4, 8, J with two suited.
CO goes all-in.

I think about it for a while and weigh a set vs. AJ vs. an over exuberant flush draw play, but decide to call all-in anyway. (Remember it's a site full of loose players, at least at the level I play.)

He shows Q8 off suit, and gets his Q on the turn, so out I go in 6th spot.

So my question is this, (after telling myself time and time again never to call all-in), when you're the short stack, but still with plenty of chips, should you call all-in even with a really good hand that you're pretty sure is the best, when there's a chance you could be beaten? I put my whole tournament on the line with the better hand, but lost. Should I have risked it?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: All-in decisions

in the hand above, you made a good call, oh raise more pf to weed out the fish a bit more.

P.s - Are you playing on William hill, if you are. Dont.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the hand above, you made a good call, oh raise more pf to weed out the fish a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just replied on your thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM

stop pretending like u dont know the right answer we all know this is a bad beat post (my pet peeve!). if u routinely consider folding KK on 48J 2flushed HU flops in a sng then u should quit poker
Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop pretending like u dont know the right answer we all know this is a bad beat post (my pet peeve!). if u routinely consider folding KK on 48J 2flushed HU flops in a sng then u should quit poker

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm, thanks? It was a serious question, regardless of what you think. Maybe you should check this forum's description and FAQs.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt in the beginner forum. He might really not know if he did right or not.

OP: In any SNG with a $10 buy-in and down, folding KK as an overpair is almost never a +EV move.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just replied on your thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, thanks ;p

Also just wondering if OP was playing a $1 + 0.20 sit'n'donk tournament
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 AM

yah he didnt really specify if he was playing a $1 tourney or playing a $5 or $10 like he said he mostly plays.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:31 AM

I think I've seen Pokey figure something like this out before in the following way:

3 combos each of 44, 88, and JJ, 6 combos for AA for a total of 15 that beat you. 14 combos (not exactly sure if this is 14 or 16) each of AJ, KJ, and QJ for a total of 42 combos that you beat. You are way ahead of everything else that would call preflop and play this way. So this is a clear call. I don't know if I could do this during the hand, Pokey's a math wiz.

Edit: I think you could even discount a set a little as I'm not sure they would be this aggressive with it even on a 2 flush board. I think you would be more likely to see a c/r all in if they had a set.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 PM

What does your own analysis tell you? And maybe you're not be as good as you thought about not tilting if this hand is still bothering you?

But to answer your question..... If the other players are going to do pull this stuff of course you must call