Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Default earth\'s gravity

let's assume we could make the earth have any mass we wanted. right now the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the earth is 9.81 m/s^2. what is the minimum and maximum g that would still allow humans to live indefinately?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: earth\'s gravity

Everything is interlinked, so it's a stupid question. There would be no man without everything else being as it is.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything is interlinked, so it's a stupid question. There would be no man without everything else being as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

My god you are obtuse. If it changed to 10 instead of 9.8, I doubt humans would be wiped out. Basketball might get more interesting though.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My god you are obtuse. If it changed to 10 instead of 9.8, I doubt humans would be wiped out. Basketball might get more interesting though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be more interesting if the pull was less?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM

how much could g go up and down for the moon to stay in orbit
Old 10-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Forget the moon, how much extra mass would cause the Earth to slide out to an orbit that is too cold, or pulling away mass would push us into a killer hot orbit? Or do I have that backwards?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 PM

In a vacuum, the answer to your question is that we can have no gravity and be fine, as long as we exercise and make sure we don't atrophy, and on the other side, I think I heard it was like 6 G's or something, we're just too heavy and our bodies couldn't handle it indefinitely. That could be off a bit, I'm just going from memory. But I mean, there is some point where gravity is too much for our heart to pump blood around and our organs to work and stuff.

But like somebody pointed out, it's all interconnected. Different gravity would affect all the other things on the planet which would affect us. No gravity would mean no rain and we couldn't stop ourselves from drifting into space, and too much would crash the moon into us and god knows. It's not really possible to determine all the effects, but it wouldn't take being plus or minus 2 m/s^2 to notice the vast vast changes I wouldn't think.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
let's assume we could make the earth have any mass we wanted. right now the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the earth is 9.81 m/s^2. what is the minimum and maximum g that would still allow humans to live indefinately?

[/ QUOTE ]

idiot