Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM

Default It\'s Been A Whlie : 98s in CO

Online 10/20. Game is 8-handed.

UTG limps. He's loose and passive PF, but plays pretty normal postflop. Two folds to an unknown MP who limps. Folded to me with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I raise. TAG button folds, loose/bad SB folds, typical BB calls, limpers call.

Flop comes: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG raises, MP calls.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: It\'s Been A Whlie : 98s in CO

Egad. I think you're getting just enough to peel the flop. But doesn't that make the pot big enough to call on the turn with just the gutshot? So you're essentially making a two BB decision here. Spots like this make me want to put my head through a wall.

Fold preflop?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? no way i fold pf. if this fold is something from some book that says "you need 5 limpers to play suited connectors" throw that book away, its worthless.

raise is iffy though. i think a limp is better.

Flop: I call but its very close. if someone has a big hand (seems likely if 3 people are staying on a board this dry) then you have great implied odds. the bad part is you arent closing the action, and the BB has led into the field which is sometimes indicative of a big hand.

i think i call and hope.

ps who is the chick in your avatar?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps who is the chick in your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

img169.imageshack.us/img169/3941/jojoavvb1.gif
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. 45s sure, 98s has pair value and against a loose limper and someone who didn't try to iso the loose limper flopping just an 8 or a 9 will frequently be plenty. Of course if the blinds come along we'll be in a 4+handed pot at which point we're profitable on draw value alone. I do like a limp better than a raise though.

I wanted to fold the flop at first for fear of a 3bet wrecking our odds but then I realized we have BDFD + position. After some more reflection I think it's a thin call.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Forgot about this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold Preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]No. 45s sure

[/ QUOTE ]
I call with 54s here PF without thinking too much about it. A wise man once said regarding 75s in this same spot, "If you aren't going to play that hand in that spot, why are you even at a poker table?"
Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 PM

My first instinct was to 3bet with the intention of taking a free card, assuming we are not folding (I think we get enough in implied odds to continue with ~5 outs to a well disguised winner). But it's been so long since I played 10/20 that I'm really not sure if that's a), gonna work often, or b), if coldcalling & looking like you're setting up a turn raise is just as likely to get you a free card chance. I also don't like the possibility of knocking out one or two opponents with that flop 3bet when we're almost certainly going to win the hand if we hit our outs.

So, upon a little more reflection, call two.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 AM

3bet was my first reaction and i think i'm sticking to it.

for me, this is influenced by more than just the free card possibility. since this is a nice sized pot and with a draw to the nuts/poss. flush it's in our best interest to continue if we don't hit/pickup more of a draw on the turn.

this becomes more difficult to do if our opponents start to get aggressive on fourth street(it also hurts implied odds). if they're putting in action on this board, they have made hands. a majority of those made hands are one pair type hands(of course the less mathematically likely sets/two pair combos must be accounted for as well).

this means a flop 3bet could very well induce them into a certain amount of submission we wouldn't otherwise see if we coldcall the flop.

keep in mind, it wouldn't need to succeed only in forcing all of your opponents to simply check out of fear. if it could keep an opponent from betting to get raised(say BB) or keep an opponent(say UTG or MP) from raising someone elses bet, we wouuld come out reasonably ahead since on the turn we will often have the odds to draw for one big bet more profitably(and more often) than two.

based on your sort of vague/subjective descriptions i'm making assumptions according to my interpretation. certainly clarification of a specific tendency that i overlooked could change my opinion one way or the other.

btw, do ya think i'm gonna get $20 from your challenge in medium stakes? that last graph you posted showed you had a ways to go in a shrinking time frame.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM

I already told you that I call, but figured I may as well bump this to say that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Whassup GOT?

By the way, we need more posts like this, that make me have to think.

Ok, what a fine mess we've got ourselves into here.

If you were closing the action, it would be an easy call. I guess it boils down to what we think the BB is going to do when it gets back to him. I suspect that a huge percentage of the time, in live games, he is going to just call when it gets back to him, so I think we can call here, and if we don't catch a ten, maybe we could be lucky enough to get either the 5 or 6 of diamonds.