Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Default prop players in vegas

was wondering which, if any, poker rooms in vegas have props (proposition players) in their games.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: prop players in vegas

None anymore. Sam's Town was the last one to actively pursue prop players.

Now if you're talking about dealers playing in games, this is different. A prop player is now defined as someone employed by the house strictly to play in games at the time and stakes they are told to by management. Dealers do not fit into this categorie.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam's Town was the last one to actively pursue prop players.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago was this? I heard rumours that the V was placing props into their games late last year.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM

How serious is this rumor? I might tell you that as a tourist who can't make the hours to get into the freerolls some of these rooms offer that all the locals who make the hours are props. By law they aren't, but I don't see a whole lot of difference. Particularly if they just chop the freeroll pool between every player who shows up for the tournament.

BTW, the room in question for the freeroll chop is the Luxor.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How serious is this rumor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty serious. At the time, given the # and reputation of the different sources from which i heard it, I'd say 80-90%. I never actually asked when I was at a table as I feel it's kind of a pointless thing to do.

Yes. I've heard the luxor (at least used to) regularly chop some of the (weekly?) freerolls. They wouldn't even play the tourney. . .just split up the dough.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 AM

This kind of irked me when I made the mistake of playing there. I generally leave midweek, so I felt like any hours I played there were just wasted. I hate the Luxor room anyway, so I guess it's just as well I wasn't tempted to grind out the hours.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sam's Town was the last one to actively pursue prop players.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago was this? I heard rumours that the V was placing props into their games late last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that V had some props when they were trying to get the mid limits going. I don't think that lasted very long.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Sam's Town used to, I don't know if they still do. I don't know of any other rooms currently using true prop players though many rooms will allow dealers to play on teh clock (effectively making them props though typically dealers on the clock are not forced to play in a game they don't want to)
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Is the house required to identify these players as props if asked by a player? Every room in Vegas I've been in has a sign indicating they will identify props or shills on player request.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the house required to identify these players as props if asked by a player? Every room in Vegas I've been in has a sign indicating they will identify props or shills on player request.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are required to identify these players on request. I have never heard a formal request, though I have on occasion heard a player ask if a specific player was a house player.

I would fully expect this to apply to dealers playing on the clock becaus ethey are in fact playing as props even if they are not hired full-time in that capacity.