Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Default 2/4 TT EP

I'm one of those "I'm doing everything right and I still get outdrawn too often" moments, which leads me to believe that maybe I'm not really doing everything right. Plus, I'm relatively new to 2/4, and probably need some adjusting still.

So - this is a fine current example of a hand that I think I played well, and still lost in frustrating fashion. The obvious question, then - was this just an unlucky hand, or did I do something wrong (or both)?

Thanks in advance.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

River: (10.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Th Td (one pair, tens).
UTG+2 has 6c Jc (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 10.25 BB. </font>
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: 2/4 TT EP

I really don't like checking the turn here. Even if you plan on check-raising. Even though your checkraise worked perfectly here and you made this complete fish call two BBs cold on the turn to hit his draw, it's still a huge problem to check the turn in the first seat. I think you can check-raise here sometimes with a hand like AA or KK, but there are way too many ugly cards that could river if this checks through.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM

The turn checkraise is not obligatory or anything, but it's okay so long as you think there's a strong chance someone will bet. (You didn't give reads.)

I probably would have bet again on the river, hoping to get called by a turned 9. If it's not that, though, then MP1 is either very loose or was drawing on the turn. (In this case, I guess it was a little of both [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].) Or I guess maybe he could be on a prolonged slowplay.

Anyway, if I were Hero, my actions in the hand most likely would have been raise, bet, bet, bet.

Boring, I know.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:09 PM

I did indeed forget reads. UTG+2 in indeed loose/passive most of the time, and MP1 appears to be a decent player.

I historically have not been a big checkraiser, but I had faith that MP1 would make a run at the pot.

I have been checkraising a lot more recently - perhaps that is part of my problem? Sometimes I think I am developing a serious case of FPS.

Thanks for thoughts so far.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did indeed forget reads. UTG+2 in indeed loose/passive most of the time, and MP1 appears to be a decent player.

I historically have not been a big checkraiser, but I had faith that MP1 would make a run at the pot.

I have been checkraising a lot more recently - perhaps that is part of my problem? Sometimes I think I am developing a serious case of FPS.

Thanks for thoughts so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's nice when it works, and it sucks when you whiff. And if also sucks if your checkraise gets 3-bet by 88 or something. I wouldn't be too worried about a set at the outset of the turn action, but it is something to consider if MP is decent, since medium PPs are popular cold-calling hands. His other likely hands are overcards, a non-set pocket pair, and a flush draw. Since we can't count on the loose-passive to bet, a question to ask (if we're considering checkraising) is which hands MP will fire with.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:08 PM

Reads would be nice

Checking the turn was bad. You are offering a free card there and you are probably ahead. Bet the river and fold to a raise
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 PM

as much as i love check raising people. this hand is better played as bet / bet / bet

and i mean, you do the CR, he hangs around, and you choke on the river on one little overcard?

UTSABTDR
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 AM

C/r on turn is designed for monsters if you know the flop if 1) villain is aggressive 2) the flop is likely have hit the villain. You are OOP. Bet, bet, bet.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UYSABTDR

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 11:19 AM

bet, bet, bet...