Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 AM

Default 30 and living at home

I was having a discussion with some friends regarding this. It seems like this day and age, its more common for kids to still live with their parents, later on in life. People have different reasons. Some are going to school, while some are saving up for a condo. It just seems to be part of the trend of people waiting longer before they get married. Humans are living now longer than they use to 100 + years ago, so it just seems to be part of the trend of people not going out and rushing things.

Living at home as a 30 year old isn't the popular or mainstream way of doing things, but I'm just saying that it isn't as rare as it use to be, and its lost that stigma of only being for Star Wars obsessed/psycopathic/socially disabled losers.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 30 and living at home

so, you're a lotr fan, then.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so, you're a lvl 70 Undead Priest in WoW , then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 AM

I agree it's more common, but ambitious people will always look down on it - and with good reason. There is no substitute for standing completely on your own two feet, and it's hard to respect someone who doesn't. At least in my opinion.

But it's definitely becoming more socially accepted, especially where some wealth is involved.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's more common, but ambitious people will always look down on it - and with good reason. There is no substitute for standing completely on your own two feet, and it's hard to respect someone who doesn't. At least in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty arrogant. sure there are some people who are just computer nerd bums who stay at home, but its a great financial option to have for people who don't make enough money to live alone. imo it would be better to live at home in a financially stable situation as opposed to accruing debt in order "to stand on your own two feet"-- to hell w/respectability.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a discussion with some friends regarding this. It seems like this day and age, its more common for kids to still live with their parents, later on in life. People have different reasons. Some are going to school, while some are saving up for a condo. It just seems to be part of the trend of people waiting longer before they get married. Humans are living now longer than they use to 100 + years ago, so it just seems to be part of the trend of people not going out and rushing things.

Living at home as a 30 year old isn't the popular or mainstream way of doing things, but I'm just saying that it isn't as rare as it use to be, and its lost that stigma of only being for Star Wars obsessed/psycopathic/socially disabled losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still: nothing tells the ladies that you are ready to tear the world a new ass like living with your mom.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM

I think it's not looked down upon in other countries as much as in the US.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's not looked down upon in other countries as much as in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

True
It is very common in Europe and is pretty much the norm in most of Asia that people don't move out until they get married.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM

I lived away from home with mates when I finished (more accurately dropped out of) uni for around a year and it was fun whilst it lasted but I had to move home because I couldn't cope with the finances. Also I was living in pretty bad conditions, just a studenty mess of a house.

After a couple of years living back home I moved in with my girlfriend and it's great.

I think forcing yourself to "make it on your own" when you've not got the financial ability or responsibility to really make it work long term is a bad idea. Then again I had it pretty easy at my parents house.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lived away from home with mates when I finished (more accurately dropped out of) uni for around a year and it was fun whilst it lasted but I had to move home because I couldn't cope with the finances. Also I was living in pretty bad conditions, just a studenty mess of a house.

After a couple of years living back home I moved in with my girlfriend and it's great.

I think forcing yourself to "make it on your own" when you've not got the financial ability or responsibility to really make it work long term is a bad idea. Then again I had it pretty easy at my parents house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Social expectations for a lot of people have not caught up with economic realities. America has experienced rolling recessions for decades now; there's pretty much always some area and segments of the economy that are depressed. Meanwhile, housing prices continue to rise, and Americans spend more of their money than ever before on housing, whether buying or renting. You used to be able to afford a house pretty much as long as you stayed out of jail. Now you can get a law degree and still be out of the housing market for years.

It used to make a lot more sense to look down on people for staying with mom after they hit 18, or at most graduated from college. Now it's just incongruent with reality. I think the ideal for a kid now, unless he has to move to get to a better college, is to stay with the folks until he graduates college, and then stay there for a few more years to get the down-payment for a house.

Of course, you can wreck that up too, by just blowing all the money you get to save since you're not spending so much on rent. Friends of mine did that and in their early 30's should have been ready to move into a nice house or buy some condos outright. Instead they were just older people still living with mom.

FWIW job-wise, people in fields like film and t.v. production, and sales, can take huge advantage of this set-up. Lots of the jobs in the former require unpaid or virtually unpaid apprenticeships, and jobs are very hard to come by. It's only once you're really in that the money is better than ruinous. A lot of those opportunities just aren't available to people who want to continue to live indoors, if they're not living at home. And for sales people, you can take a while to generate an income, much less a career. Living on nothing for months is just not an option for the rest of us, but living at home can make going for a good career in sales much more doable.