Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Default 6/12 live, huge pot, this is what I did with my set.

9 handed, Saturday night. I’ve only been at the table for an orbit or so, but thus far it has been pretty loose and aggressive preflop. Perhaps raised preflop 50% and 4-6 callers each time. It also appears, based on table talk, that the individual immediately to my left (i.e., maniac) has been raising many hands with mediocre hands.

UTG limps, I raise with black TT, maniac 3-bets, 2 cold callers, SB folds, BB calls, I count 6 players and 4-bet, 4 call, and BB 5-bets (!), we all call the cap.

Flop AQT rainbow

BB bets, I raise, 3 callers, BB 3-bets, I 4-bet, 3 callers, BB calls.

Turn 8c of one of the rainbows.

BB bets, I call, everyone calls.

River 2 no possible flush.

BB bets, I call crying…..

Standard or too aggressive somewhere?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: 6/12 live, huge pot, this is what I did with my set.

Wow, if I counted things right there are 25 BB in the pot as the turn card is flipped. I think I raise the turn, is that spewy? I know all gutshots still have odds to continue but you can always try to fold someone out. If BB fires again I just call down, I don't think he necessarily needs to have AA here (yesterday I played against an opponent who checkraised preflop half a dozen times, twice with 82s and another time he bet/folded an AKx flop).
Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

I guess I though a turn raise was spewy because I didn't do it. On the other hand by posting this, I guess I wasn't sure. More to come.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM

I think I read in Sklansky somewhere that we want to avoid "madcapping" with less than premium holdings at a wild table. Admittedly I'm fairly tight, so others will disagree, but I'd have just called PF with TT and kept the pot as small as possible to avoid a war with the lunatic. Also, I think at a LP table KJ is definitely within capping range here, especially by the maniac, so that flop has the smell of misfortune on it. I like c/c'ing the flop and c/r'ing the turn.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM

raise the turn

we have a set
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM

BBB, I think you play a lot on-line. You really think that in a live game, even one that's lag preflop, I'm not behind on the turn when the BB 3-bets me on the flop after losts of callers?

My thoughts at the time were that I was behind to KJ on the turn needing to pair the board and wanted the multiple overcallers behind me in case I hit on the river. My rationale on putting him on KJ, and not the AA or QQ, was because of his action preflop.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Oops sorry c/r not available here.. (duh).. all that action PF makes me think that there's paint-a-plenty out there.. i'd call down
Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF makes me think that there's paint-a-plenty out there.. i'd call down

[/ QUOTE ]

id rather lose 2 big bets to a 3 bet than the whole pot when i let someone with a gutshot hit.

raise the turn.

EDIT: remember folks, a lot of the money in limit comes from how you play the turn and river. preflop and the flop are usually easy to play. the interesting decisions come on the later streets and those separate the men from the boys.

in this hand, like many hands, big street aggression is your friend. use it to your advantage.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Big street aggression does us little good in a multiway capped flop where AA, QQ, KJ, or J9 has us by the shorthairs.

I see your point, but my experience is with 3/6, and at that level anyone who'd go along for the PF cap ain't folding their Kx or Jx gutter for one raise with a pot this big. Ever. In fact, I don't think we're shaking AQ or AT (not that we want to.) I could be wrong, of course, and ours could be the best hand. But I hate the thought of betting for others with a higher set or a made straight here.

That's a pretty scary flop for our set, and the turn just opens us up for more heartache. I just have a hunch that that flop + that PF action = Broadway, or a Q hi straight.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM

PF: If it's the maniac I think you're talking about (his name is Art, he wears sunglasses, is probably 40ish and has an accept that is hard to place), your pf 4 bet is EASILY profitable. Usually I just call that 3 bet, but against art i'm going to cap. As for the BB calling two cold and then capping....he could have ANYTHING. I've seen people do that with 67o because "it was gonna get capped anyway, and this way I can confuse them a bit"

Flop: Bet and raise like there is no tomorrow.

Turn: I like one last raise here actually. If he plays back at you again, just call down.