Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 AM

Default a question about public roads

I pay my taxes (well they are deducted from my paycheck before I even see it) and I have to get into work every day on the public roads. Unfortunately they are in terrible condition, always have traffic jams and what should be a short trip turns into a long grinding slog. The government "owns" all the roads surrounding my house am I SOL?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: a question about public roads

sol?

would u rather they be privatised?

peronally where I used to live in the countryside I used to go nutso about the private roads that weren't open to the public to take shortcuts.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 AM

Tom,

I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume that this a reply to the thread I started. Borodog's reply in that thread helped me to answer the question. The past two threads I have started arose from me not being able to give my dad a good answer when I was talking to him about total privatization. I understand that AC isn't utopia and that worse case scenarios can happen under any system (or lack of one). I also know that it is dumb to ignore AC because it isn't perfect. People are naturally skeptical of huge changes (which is a good thing IMO) and telling him "Lol I guess you think Bill Gates will eat your babies too" wouldn't have helped to convince him. Perhaps I'll lay off of the thread starting for a while.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume that this a reply to the thread I started. Borodog's reply in that thread helped me to answer the question. The past two threads I have started arose from me not being able to give my dad a good answer when I was talking to him about total privatization. I understand that AC isn't utopia and that worse case scenarios can happen under any system (or lack of one). I also know that it is dumb to ignore AC because it isn't perfect. People are naturally skeptical of huge changes (which is a good thing IMO) and telling him "Lol I guess you think Bill Gates will eat your babies too" wouldn't have helped to convince him. Perhaps I'll lay off of the thread starting for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey it's ok. I start feeling bad when people turn out to be reasonable guys. No need to lay off the thread starting on my account I made pretty much all these type of posts before I was convinced about AC. If you're genuinely interested in finding out more that's fantastic there's a bunch of stuff already on the forum that can help you out. If I was to give any advice it'd be to ask yourself "might this scenario have been thought of before?" before posting. There are a lot of really smart people here that are AC (not that I'm one of them) and they've really thought out their positions it's not just Molotov throwing mohawked "anarchists". But hey I believe in freedom so feel free to tell me where to get off. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 AM

Tom,

It's cool. The reason I'm going to lay off of the thread starting is because I am a bit guilty of misestarding. I don't know if you support Ron Paul, but I'm trying to inform myself more so that I can convince a few people to vote for him in the primaries (I have a family full of Republicans). Perhaps I should lay off of trying to argue for complete ACism, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 06:43 AM

The idea of ACism is utopian. I don't think the term has to be used negatively. Clearly the implication of ACism would not be "utopian" in the classical sense but it is still a utopian idea.

"A map of the world that does not include Utopia is not worth even glancing at" Oscar Wilde
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM

You might be better off, at least at first, talking about Ron Paul like he's someone a Republican should already like. He argues from a principled libertarian platform, but the Republicans you're talking to don't necessarily realize that or need to realize that; so you shouldn't feel like you have to defend him at the roots.

Remember he is:
-Against all taxes
-Against government running our lives (work Ronald Reagan in there, or everywhere)
-Staunchly pro life
-Staunchly opposed to illegal immigration
-Voted for Afghanistan invasion
-Against Iraq War and ME foreign policy on Constitutional grounds (again, Ronald Reagan... he took down the Soviet Union with a strong defense and no intervention... it's a more efficient approach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXZpuIXEzWk

Kind of dull, but might be good to show to big pro-lifers.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sol?

peronally where I used to live in the countryside I used to go nutso about the private roads that weren't open to the public to take shortcuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always hate it when I can't drive through my neighbor's yard to save a couple of minutes. What a selfish bastard. Also, I got nutso about the hottub in his backyard that isn't open to the public to take quick dips.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sol?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always hate it when I can't drive through my neighbor's yard to save a couple of minutes. What a selfish bastard. Also, I got nutso about the hottub in his backyard that isn't open to the public to take quick dips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw you, pvn. I tried logging into your account to fix that typo, and it won't let me.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sol?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw you, pvn. I tried logging into your account to fix that typo, and it won't let me.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh