Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Default whats a solid BB/100 ratio for Omaha?

So I just very recently started using PokerTracker for Omaha and have logged about 22,000 hands at 25/50. Aside from specific player win/losses though, I find that I don't really use the program for anything. I talked to my friend (who is a NLHE only player) and was told that 5-7 BB/100 means that you are a solid, successful player, and that anything over 10 just pretty much means that you are playing at too low of limits. Does this hold true for Omaha also? Thus far, over about 22,000 hands, I have a 14.20 BB/100 ratio. Should I stick to the current limits or move up? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: whats a solid BB/100 ratio for Omaha?

Also, are there any other statistics on PT that I should be using to analyze my and everyone else's play..
Old 09-14-2007, 11:45 PM

at the lower limits, a good PLO player will have a higher winrate (in PTBB) than the same NLHE player, simply due to the fact that most people are at least competent at NLHE these days.

I can't say re: the super high stakes, I would imagine that most of your competition is more than competent, but I do know that 22k hands is far to small a sample to determine your true winrate in those games.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM

I figured as much but my NLHE buddy told me that 5k was usually enough.. So he is just flat out wrong then?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM

although i've taken several stats courses in both undergrad and grad school, i (maybe purposely) didn't digest too much of it -- Pete, Troll, and a few others are the real stat guys that can tell you when the sample size will start converging towards your long term winrate, but it isn't 22k hands and most definitely isn't 5k, particularly in a game like PLO where your SD is significantly higher than NLHE on average.

but one thing i can say: move up when you are running good and feeling confident. if you take a hit, move back down. this advice can certainly apply to all stakes, even nosebleeds.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 AM

That's a pretty hot winrate. 22K hands is nowhere near enough to gauge your true winrate accurately, unfortunately, and you could just be running very hot. In any case, it's unlikely to be deviating too far from your true winrate, and you're likely a big winner in your game. If you're rolled, I say move up.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 PM

One interesting way of looking at this is that the common view on what NLHE guys make is 3-4 PTBB/100, at least once they get to semi-sentient limits. SO if you are making more than this, it was better you played PLO than NLHE at least.

gl

bdd
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM

Good thread.

I have acouple of question. First, pete:
If I supposedly have run at 28 BB/100 for 5k hands, what are my likely winrate-interval based on your table? I didn't quite get your explanation.

Second, what is PokerEv, and is it useful?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 AM

can anyone calculate or estimate the standard deviation after adjusting the winnings with the pokerev program? standard deviation should go down a lot and you should be a lot more precise in you estimated winrate.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM

I don't think the adjusted winnings in the PokerEV luck graph actually tends to your true winrate (I think Pete said something like this too recently). According to Phil the author, doing the calculations the more natural way (you get lucky or unlucky for the whole pot) is also subject to bias, but I don't see how.