Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Yes, we know your name is Mike Jones. We don\'t care.

I've been listening to some older rap (2pac, eric b/rakim, wu-tang etc.) Anyone else think that rap nowadays sucks compared to rap in the 90s?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Yes, we know your name is Mike Jones. We don\'t care.

Yes.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think that rap nowadays sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think that rap sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
There, I said it.

What's more, I think rap is setting back "the black cause". Sure, it might be empowering for some, but that positive facet is outweighed by the effect of young black youths idolizing the gangsta culture with all its drugs, easy money, misogyny and violence. Further, it makes it easier for [censored] racists to form negative stereotypes about black people as a whole.

Just my 50 cents.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think that rap sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
There, I said it.

What's more, I think rap is setting back "the black cause". Sure, it might be empowering for some, but that positive facet is outweighed by the effect of young black youths idolizing the gangsta culture with all its drugs, easy money, misogyny and violence. Further, it makes it easier for [censored] racists to form negative stereotypes about black people as a whole.

Just my 50 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is where it shows that you don't really know what you're talking about (edit: or you're choosing to be ignorant to make an invalid point). There is a huge positive rap movement that has been around since the very beginning with people like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, carried through by people like Common and even Kanye.

You could say the exact same thing about rock/metal and white people.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See this is where it shows that you don't really know what you're talking about (edit: or you're choosing to be ignorant to make an invalid point). There is a huge positive rap movement that has been around since the very beginning with people like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, carried through by people like Common and even Kanye.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm actually aware that gangsta rap is only a subset of rap, but it seems to be by far the most dominant one. But you're right, I'm not following rap closely enough to know whether that's true - it's just an impression.

I also think the rock/metal comparison is somewhat flawed. Unless you're talking about black metal, there isn't much cultural/behavioral patterns attached to the music besides wearing crappy, black clothes and neglecting to cut one's hair. Generally speaking.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think the rock/metal comparison is somewhat flawed. Unless you're talking about black metal, there isn't much cultural/behavioral patterns attached to the music besides wearing crappy, black clothes and neglecting to cut one's hair. Generally speaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do this for any genre really. People love music about rebellion, whether it's doing acid with John and Paul, slangin rock with 50, or fighting for your right to party with MCA and Ad-Rock.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM

mason, [ QUOTE ]
There is a huge positive rap movement that has been around since the very beginning with people like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, carried through by people like Common and even Kanye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest question, but because I'm not well-versed (!) in rap history. When you say "from the very beginning," do you mean the beginning of rap as a genre? Has Tribe been around that long?

Also, [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. The point I would make if I was defending ZeTurd's case, however, is that any negative effect that rap music has on young black people is more detrimental than any negative effect that metal has on young white people, due to the unfortunate social history and climate in this country.

-McGee
Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honest question, but because I'm not well-versed (!) in rap history. When you say "from the very beginning," do you mean the beginning of rap as a genre? Has Tribe been around that long?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant from the beginning of the genre. De La Soul and Tribe are the oldest positive stuff that people still really listen to today, but even before them you had Grandmaster Flash whose stuff was very positive. I don't really know enough about proto-rap before him to name specific tracks and artists but until the late 80's and early 90's almost all rap was positive.

Edit: Check this page for a little background and a big list of artists that are almost all positive and not about killin n's and effin b's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscious_hip_hop
Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mason, [ QUOTE ]
There is a huge positive rap movement that has been around since the very beginning with people like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, carried through by people like Common and even Kanye.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, since nearly the beginning. Commercial hip-hop/rap's birth = mid eighties. Tribe came around in the late eighties.