Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Obesity in the US

I got back from Florida yeserday after Hurricane Dean meant a slight change to my holiday plans and have to say I am totally and utterly gobsmacked at what I saw regarding the sheer size of most people. In 2 weeks I saw the most amazing amount of morbidly obese people imaginable and it truly does worry me.

I think that this obesity is the most obvious manifestation of the over-consumption of the US (this isn't just a rip at US btw). For example, every car seems to be a huge 4.0l truck with one person in it. In the UK (and i didn't previously think we were overly environmentally/health conscious) most people drive small, compact cars. Why does it take 4 litres to do 65 on a straight highway when you can do it cheaper and an infinite amount more economical with a car 1/3 the size? I think the sheer cheapness of gas/food may contribute to it but it seemed to be everywhere I look

While I appreciate Florida may be slightly unrepresentative of the US as a whole, essentially what I am asking is how can it be that a country that is a self-proclaimed super-power and capable of destroying nations and putting men on the moon is not capable of getting the message across (through media or taxation or whatever...) to simply consume less and exercise more? From where I was looking from America seriously seems to be killing itself.

Interested to hear from Americans especially about any relevant info I might not be aware of.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Obesity in the US

as far as teh obesity thing...I agree, people are stupid about it.

as far as the truck thing...this is retarded, and what does it have to do with obesity? hint: people arent buying small cars because they cant fit in them if that is what you are getting at.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

as far as the truck thing...this is retarded, and what does it have to do with obesity? hint: people arent buying small cars because they cant fit in them if that is what you are getting at.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point about huge trucks is that again its massive over consumption similar to over consumption of food. The extra pollution generated by them is staggering. Over here it is taxed like 85% of the total price to for this reason.

Surely if the US government could take a longer sighted view and tax gas/junk food etc a lot higher it would discourage over consumption. (Disclaimer: Not totally sure how in bed the US Gov is with major corporations in this respect...)
Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point about huge trucks is that again its massive over consumption similar to over consumption of food. The extra pollution generated by them is staggering. Over here it is taxed like 85% of the total price to for this reason.

Surely if the US government could take a longer sighted view and tax gas/junk food etc a lot higher it would discourage over consumption. (Disclaimer: Not totally sure how in bed the US Gov is with major corporations in this respect...)

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you define over consumption? It sounds to me like your definition is based on your own subjective, personal beliefs. It seems pretty unfair to forcefully impose your will onto others, no? More government is most definitely NOT the answer to any of the perceived problems you noted. Take your ideas to the Politics forum, and see how well they're received...
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM

go buy a thai, chinese and korean cook book.

the koreans took something as simple as cabbage and figured out how to make it insanely delicious. learn about 'banjan' and start eating it more often.

the truth is that if you know how to cook with spices (lets be honest, white people dont know how to) then you can make insanely great tasting food that is healthy and cheap!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Asian food is an excellent start. Throw meat and vegetables into a pan, little bit of soy sauce, assorted other spices. Takes no time, takes no skill, tastes great.

I'm a complete [censored] at everything, but even I can make a reasonably delicious chicken and broccoli.

Edit: The only thing I remember making in home ec was cheesecake. Cheesecake!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm sorry, but spices just aren't a substitute for fats and oils and cream and sugar and all that other stuff that makes food actually taste good. Maybe people who are really obsessed with fitness have managed to convince themselves of that, but they are at odds with the way most human beings have evolved.

If you could make fast food taste good with only spices and not with fat, then McDonalds would use spices instead of fat.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the koreans took something as simple as cabbage and figured out how to make it insanely delicious. learn about 'banjan' and start eating it more often.

the truth is that if you know how to cook with spices (lets be honest, white people dont know how to) then you can make insanely great tasting food that is healthy and cheap!

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. I dont think people understand what poor people eat in other countries. China, italy, mexico, etc, the poor of those countries eat better tasting stuff by a large margin than any fast food you can find here in america (except white castles).
Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. I dont think people understand what poor people eat in other countries. China, italy, mexico, etc, the poor of those countries eat better tasting stuff by a large margin than any fast food you can find here in america (except white castles).

[/ QUOTE ]
people who came to america werent able to find spices from back home and they married people from other ethnic backgrounds which i think destroyed their culture/ability to cook. that void was then filled by mcdonalds/processed foods. cooking is an art form that is handed down from your parents. cooking seems to be big everywhere in the world except america.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

COME ON! I'm half Italian/ half South American myself and my family might eat at low costs, but they spend a LOT of time cooking. Seriously. Of course that is going to taste better than some burger and fries and might even be cheaper as well, but that is not a fair comparison. You're actually sort of implying that most people prefer fast food over home made food with that last sentence, which is ridiculous.