Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Default 1k post thoughts from the cheap seats

I know it was an old tradition to post something on your 1k post, usually something extremely useful to the others in some form or other to centralize some wisdoms you picked up on the way during your journey from lurker to poster to old hand.

Obviously for those that know me the wisdom I can expound is generally considered not but I thought it would be for my own benefit that I post something reflective anyways.

I would have to say that one wisdom is the most beneficial to me which I have finally learned. I post for myself. I still grunch, I post to get ridiculed and laughed at and embarrassed and for the most part I get all of the above.

I post because posting is the best way for me to learn and yes insert insult here because some guys can tell you I haven't learnt much in the year I have posted.

I still make a ton of mistakes. I still argue like a donkey on drugs. I still disagree with some well established concepts on these boards, but I post because it helps me.

I didn't post for the last 6 months for health reasons but still tried to learn from the game on the minor scale I could play at.

No matter what I was reading and doing however, I still didn't learn at the pace I learnt by posting.

Posting is integral for really helping the examination and thought process required to achieve long term success in this game.

It makes you take ownership of all your actions and all your thought process while playing in a great way because being humiliated and ridiculed on these boards is a lot cheaper than dumping 500 bucks in a session and not knowing why you got hammered so badly.

If we weren't moving up so much from the micros and you were solid at the level you wanted to be solid at then I say its good to post for the others but otherwise post for yourself.

Be an idiot. Learn from the experts and the other idiots.

Today I got a response from one guy who previously treated me like trash, I mean he was brutal every time I posted, I had no clue what he meant when he posted, I had no idea why people thought he was good, I had no idea why he wasn't banned from the boards.

Today he told me something that really triggered a ton for me explaining a concept I completely missed before.

Its interesting however that I think he tried to tell me that at least 10 times before.

So now I know why he is considered one of the good posters out there. Today I learned that by posting I have opened the door to learning.

So to all the guys who keep on hammering me with wisdom and ridicule for the last year and still doing it for me 1k posts later I say thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: 1k post thoughts from the cheap seats

keep on truckin bro, gl.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 PM

Congrats Smurph and welcome to your "sophomore year."
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 AM

nh

FWIW to further Smurf's post I would encourage all noobs and intermediates who post to write posts that are not one liners. Explain your thoughts as fully as you can. Say why you would play a hand a certain way, where appropriate discuss how you might react to whatever moves your opponents pull.....I suggest this because it is good for you to do this, get corrected/applauded as requried and it will make you a better poker player.

dont be fooled into posting one liners like "bet/fold" just because poohbahs and carpals do it...they are probably doing it under the assumption that if people want to know why then they will ask and because they are like, you know, probably pretty good at the poker and dont need to explain their actions all the time ... but if you ask them they will probably oblige and explain themselves in more detail.

In short, noobs and intermediates who are posting to get better at poker in a hurry shouldnt take the one line approach as it can stunt their poker growth.. 2c

ozi

ps Smurf, for FWIW you fall into the same category as me...ie the "tl;dr" category for posters who lurve to write essays every damn time they post. hehe. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
pps welcome back. its good to hear things are better on the health frontier.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 AM

i've always enjoyed your posts ... so much detail - gives me a headache most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i also love when they rip into you too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ... i learned a lot my reading 'said' poster's replies

glad to see you're back ...

NH [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 AM

jesus. u were about at the stage i am now when u stopped posting.

when i was reading ur posts i was considered a lurker. not posting and just listening per se

but now that i am posting and getting ridiculed instead of reading and saying, "well no thats not right i wouldnt do that at all"

its actually been more beneficial in the past couple months posting here, SSNL and tourney forums that i feel like i have grown more in the past month than i have in the past year.

thanks and hope to read more posts of urs in the future
Old 09-07-2007, 02:21 AM

I really enjoyed the post. I've been a member for a year now but just recently started posting more. Reading that was very motivating. Thank you Smurph.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Glad to hear that your health is improving. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good advice regarding the posting.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM

smurph,

you are top of your class.

your avatar is top of the micros. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM

It's not so much a tradition as a weird habbit that came out of no where...

Congrats and let me be the first to say, tl;dr.

edited to add
That may have seemed harsher than it was intended, so here is a lolcat to reinforce the tone of this post: