Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Cheap things you buy even though you can afford expensive ones.

I can think of two for me,

1. Hotel Rooms, I don't understand spending a lot of money for a room when you're mainly using it while you're not even awake.

2. Flashy car, seems like a waste of money and mostly an image thing. I don't really see how an expensive car serves its functions better than a cheap but reliable one.

Others?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Cheap things you buy even though you can afford expensive ones.

Thai hookers?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM

Within 50 posts every consumer product imaginable will probably be named. Great thread idea.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thai hookers?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]

i thought this hadn't been mentioned and then i see it's the first response - next up, a trip to bovine university
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm astounded that 3 people so far have said cars. Other than your house this is pretty much your biggest purchase that gets noticed the most and that you use the most. And you can definitely tell the difference between a crappy one and a nice one. If you have the money, then why not buy one? What else are you saving for?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm astounded that 3 people so far have said cars. Other than your house this is pretty much your biggest purchase that depreciates 40%+ in value 5 minutes after you buy it. And you can definitely tell the difference between a crappy one and a nice one but it still takes you the same amount of time to get from point A to point B. If you have the money, then why not buy one? What else are you saving for?

[/ QUOTE ]

A higher net worth, so that at the age of 45 or thereabouts, the love of my life and myself can retire to Italy or whereever else our heart desires.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the love of my life

[/ QUOTE ]
taking applications?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm astounded that 3 people so far have said cars. Other than your house this is pretty much your biggest purchase that depreciates 40%+ in value 5 minutes after you buy it. And you can definitely tell the difference between a crappy one and a nice one but it still takes you the same amount of time to get from point A to point B. If you have the money, then why not buy one? What else are you saving for?

[/ QUOTE ]

A higher net worth, so that at the age of 45 or thereabouts, the love of my life and myself can retire to Italy or whereever else our heart desires.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a bit of a difference in going from point A to point B in a Geo compared to a BMW...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm astounded that 3 people so far have said cars. Other than your house this is pretty much your biggest purchase that gets noticed the most and that you use the most. And you can definitely tell the difference between a crappy one and a nice one. If you have the money, then why not buy one? What else are you saving for?

[/ QUOTE ]

People have different feelings about cars. If you only view them as a means of conveyance, then by all means get an affordable, practical vehicle. But for a lot of people, myself included, they're about much more than transportation -- they're a source of immense enjoyment; and usually the cars we lust after the most are the most expensive. I think I'd rather have a nice condo and a $150k car than a nice house and a practical car.

As to the original question, the thing that comes to mind for me is HDMI cables. Stores try to sell you name brand ones that range from like $50-$100, when you can buy generic ones for like $2. Oh, also otc and some prescription meds -- buy generic brands of those also.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Cars, as with all products, have a point of diminishing returns.

You can easily say that the difference between a $10k Chevy Aveo and a $24k Accord V6 is worth $14k because the Accord is better built, bigger, and has a bigger engine.

But do you get for the $10k difference between the Accord and a MB C280? You get a smaller car, a less powerful engine, leather seats, and a three star badge instead of an H. To some people, those three stars are worth the $10k. To others it's not. So maybe you get the MB E350 instead. Twice as much. But is it really worth two Accords?

Status obviously has some importantance, which is why most of us don't go around driving Chevy Aveos. But to some of us, we'd rather have a decent car that doesn't scream "I'm a cheapskate", while also putting our money to other uses.