Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Thought process during a hand (basic flowchart):

I made this flowchart while teaching my girlfriend to play to help illustrate some of the things that she should be thinking about in a hand. Every time she had an action, I made her decide (any street) whether her hand was likely currently best or not based on the information she had available, and then use that answer to proceed through the flow chart. I allowed no "maybe" answers.

With all the recent posts on basic concepts like bet sizing and flop texture, I thought it might help to put this out there:

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Thought process during a hand (basic flowchart):

Very neat, heh. I am sure it will help some of the newer poker players.

It's amazing how many decisions go into playing a proper poker hand, and more amazing how quickly those used to make those decisions.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 PM

gorgeous start. I like the big fold button.

There's lots more to bet sizing than the danger of the board, but I think you know that. Maybe another flowchart [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's always tough to balance simplicity with detail in this sort of thing. For the absolute beginner, I'd just drop the "how much to bet" level, so the bottom becomes raise/fold/bet/check. Extra credit if you could merge the raise/bet branches, possibly by merging at the fold-equity decision. Fewer boxes might make this more digestible.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Excellent tool. You should add a table of hand strengths in the margins and maybe an outs/odds table or an odds to complete to a hand table.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

You don't have a float/bluff/semi-bluff section... but I guess it would be when she is a better player.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have a float/bluff/semi-bluff section... but I guess it would be when she is a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do we have checking for pot control when way ahead or way behind, nor a lot of other factors.

I recognize the lingo from Little Green Book. An excellent discussion of when to bet is contained in Chris Ferguson's chapter of the Full Tilt strategy guide.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing/ semi-bluffing is kind of encompassed in the "Do I have fold equity?: Raise" and "Will a bet take the pot?:Bet" segments of the chart.

As for floating, pot control, deception etc. etc. yada yada, I intentionally didn't include them. I wanted the chart as clean as possible and didn't want to overburden her with secondary concepts before she had the basic basics down. I believe the chart itself (along with an understanding of the concepts mentioned) is way more than sufficient to beat the micros.

Everything extra is icing.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fewer boxes might make this more digestible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I struggled a lot while making this, fighting between simplicity and adequate content. Any simpler, and I think that many of the fundamentals get glossed over. Any more content, and the beginner's eyes gloss over.

It was a compromise...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 PM

Not to bogart your topic (which I think is brilliant in its simplicity), but what is "floating" anyway?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to bogart your topic (which I think is brilliant in its simplicity), but what is "floating" anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Floating" is a fairly advanced play where you call a flop bet IN POSITION with no pair, no draw, expressly for the opportunity to take the pot away with a bet/raise on a later street (almost always the turn).

NOT a beginner play.