Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Default The Make a Wish Foundation

The Make a Wish Foundation grants wishes for terminally ill children. In 2006 it took in $182 million in donations. That doesn't count the time contributed by 25,000 volunteers, or donated time from celebrities and sport stars.

I find it incredibly repulsive. It seems like such a throwaway charity, people give money to it when they don't actually want to help anyone. That money could be going to educate inner city kids, cure diseases so those kids weren't terminally ill in the first place, or how about the "Make a Bridge Foundation". Instead they throw parties for kids who are going to die anyway. They're not making any kind of lasting difference in anyone's life, so far as I can tell.

My GF thinks I'm a heartless bastard, what does OOT think?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: The Make a Wish Foundation

My heart tells me you are a piece of [censored], douche bag, that should be punched in the nards repeatedly.

My head tells me you are right.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM

cbloom,

Of all the things to complain about, of all the things our government and society spend money on, of all the out-of-whack priorities we have, you choose to be incredibly repulsed by The Make a Wish Foundation. That makes a whole ton of sense.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM

My company does media management for this organisation, so I have to read/write about it every other day.

To a terminally ill 4 year old, a visit to meet Mickey at Disneyland is far more life enriching than the hope that there might be a cure for cancer in 50 years' time.

Isn't your stance the same as saying "why not shut down state-financed hospices" - does quality of life become worthless once you're diagnosed with a terminal illness?

At a meta level, I understand where you're coming from, but don't think a little bit of kindness towards dying kids is money wasted.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My company does media management for this organisation, so I have to read/write about it every other day.

To a terminally ill 4 year old, a visit to meet Mickey at Disneyland is far more life enriching than the hope that there might be a cure for cancer in 50 years' time.

Isn't your stance the same as saying "why not shut down state-financed hospices" - does quality of life become worthless once you're diagnosed with a terminal illness?

At a meta level, I understand where you're coming from, but don't think a little bit of kindness towards dying kids is money wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in my view state sponsored hospices are way different than sending a kid to disney land. one is providing the very basic needs for a person to live on, one is "lavishing" a kid with gifts (even though, I dont have much of a problem with it). I know I sound liek a douche, but from a logical prespective, this is what I think, from an emmotional persepective give these kids whatever they want if people are willing to donate to it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM

I agree with your GF.

You're talking about giving dying kids one last chance to realize their dreams, or at least something special and meaningful to them.

Deciding which charity to donate to is a tough decision. Personally, I'd much rather donate to the Make-A-Wish than to something like AIDS research. AIDS is a fully preventable disease. Many of these kids have terminal forms of cancer that they didn't contract by sharing needles or engaging in unprotected sex.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd much rather donate to the Make-A-Wish than to something like AIDS research. AIDS is a fully preventable disease. Many of these kids have terminal forms of cancer that they didn't contract by sharing needles or engaging in unprotected sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the millions of kids who are BORN with AIDS and have no choice in the matter. or to the people whose backasswards third world churches or leaders tell them they can cure AIDS by having sex with virgins, that condoms don't work or are against god's will, etc.

jesus christ. AIDS is a terrible epidemic that could even further destabilize world health if it mutates and becomes more hardy.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd much rather donate to the Make-A-Wish than to something like AIDS research. AIDS is a fully preventable disease. Many of these kids have terminal forms of cancer that they didn't contract by sharing needles or engaging in unprotected sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the millions of kids who are BORN with AIDS and have no choice in the matter. or to the people whose backasswards third world churches or leaders tell them they can cure AIDS by having sex with virgins, that condoms don't work or are against god's will, etc.

jesus christ. AIDS is a terrible epidemic that could even further destabilize world health if it mutates and becomes more hardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a valid point - I'll concede that. I was thinking in terms of a North American perspective. But you definitely make a good point.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Forgot to mention something. Even though NT!'s points are valid, that still doesn't change the fact that AIDS is indeed 100% preventable. Okay - no more threadjacking from me...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM

This retardo argument hinges on a flawed premise that this money would be otherwise availalbe if not for MAW.

The sappy folks who donate to stuff like this are less likely to give money to the feed the starving baby gay black kids association. That's lame, but it's also true.