Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Playing against different MSNL players

I have recently moved to 2/4 NL and higher and have been spending most of my time at 400 6-max. After 15K hands, I had a sick run and multiple crashes (mostly due to my own fault). I have been trying many different things to learn about the more advanced concepts compared to SSNL. I am still not broke and healthy to continue this. I have noticed a few things in my short stint and putting some of my thoughts here. I need your comments and advice on all these (immature) ideas.

IMO, In a typical 2/4 NL 6-max game, there are 5 different kind of players.

1.<font color="blue">The solid TAGs</font>. These are running around 20/18/2 and are usually multi-tabling and pretty good at many things. I noticed a few 2+2ers playing really well and I learnt a ton by watching and playing with them. Though, these guys are solid, it's not tough to play against them. Some of them can change gears and observe you. I believe some of these people observe players (meaning not just look at HUD stats) and make plays correctly.

2.<font color="blue">The normal TAGs</font>. These are running around 18/15/2 and again are multi-tabling. The main difference from category 1 is that these guys are not making moves against you or other players. They are playing their own game, which is obviously solid, but IMO they are not exploiting each opponent to the fullest. They are good at playing against the fish, and extracting money etc. Ocassionally, they will be playing hard against you, and it's easy to get away from your T9s on A86 flop.

3. <font color="blue">The nits</font>. The easiest to play against. I see some horrendous stats like 9/8/2 and I wonder how they make their money at all. I guess, the fish don't have HUDs. They will fold their BBs quite often. Don't re-raise people often enough. Don't raise limpers enough etc.

4. <font color="blue">The LAGs</font>. I am currently in this category. I have played both good and bad in this category. I have also seen some very good LAGs. In PT, they always show up as either SLAs or calling stations. The good LAGs actually can vary their play quite well. They will 3-bet you, make plays against you, bluff you and obviously some times run into your nuts. These are very tough to play against at times. Some of these players limp quite often. I don't do it that much, but I see the benefit of doing this. I have run into people who limped QQ and stacked me on J high flop when I have AJ. They make money mostly because they know how to hit big with those kind of hands. They also play many different hands limped, so it's difficult to put them on a particular hand. They run extremely well, when they are hitting hands and putting people on tilt. They do bad, when cards dry up and they start making moves in bad situations. If played well, I believe this is the most profitable way to play.

5. <font color="blue">The hyper LAGs</font>. I don't have to say much about these guys. We have all seen them. For some reason they want to play every phreaking hand. It seems like, they are raising every flop and you [censored] don't have a hand to play against them. Easy to play, but if you tilt because your are outdrawn or whatever, that's the end of it. You simply have to play the solid TAG against them and stack'em.

6. <font color="blue">The short-stackers</font>. I haven't seen a single short-stacker, who is playing it correctly. The ultra-shorties with 20xBB are just too tight, folding BBs way too much, and not adjusting enough to some of the LAGs. Short-stacker with any thing between 20 to 60xBB range from bad to ok. The 25xBB (which is most popular as it is like 100$) and slightly higher play too loose for their stack and easily get stacked. 60xBB is kind of awkward. I have tried playing with it, but it works fine only in FR. 6-max, re-raising always sucks with 60xBB.

I talked about too many general things, I guess, but any comments on how you play against different players is welcome. I will try to make a post on the "true LAG" play, later. I am still learning, so go easy on me.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2+2

linuxrocks
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Playing against different MSNL players

Good post, but I think SSNL villains are similar, except there are also 7. Loose passive fish and the proportions change (and many of the "LAGs" are retarded).
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously some times run into your nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
try to crouch low when running under someone, next time. also, it hurts them alot more then you.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
try to crouch low when running under someone, next time. also, it hurts them alot more then you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bobbo
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM

i knew this thread was gonna suck balls but i still read it.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i knew this thread was gonna suck balls but i still read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hate to read how people describe you, don't you?

OP: FYI, luego is a nit, you described him well.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looool
Old 08-15-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looool

[/ QUOTE ]

im actually loling
Old 08-15-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looool

[/ QUOTE ]

im actually loling

[/ QUOTE ]

I did too, but please don't hijack. Does any body have any comments on my thoughts . Is the post too general to even comment on?