Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Players not in the hand reacting to flop/turn/river....

It's relatively common, in my live game experience, when players that fold their hands after the flop or turn react to the next card dealt (i.e. as if they should have stayed in the hand). I know this can help OR hurt others still left in the hand, but it did affect me negatively over the weekend. In this particular situation, a 3rd heart came on the turn, which illicited a groan from the player who had folded to my flop bet (I had 2 pair), and then said to his neighbor "I knew I should've called". I bet again on the turn, and the remaining opponent showed pocket aces (with the A of hearts), and said "guess I have two less outs", and folded.

Now while I don't like any players out of a hand to give out information, it could have been helpful in a different situation. What is the general opinion out there on players who have folded reacting to subsequent board cards? What is the right way to address the issue? (Do you say something to the player, to the dealer, or the floor)? Opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Players not in the hand reacting to flop/turn/river....

If this was limit, the AA guy made a mistake.

Anway, the groan and speech is unacceptable. I can understand if someone who doesn't play a lot rolls their eyes or frowns for a second. But the talking and groan can be stopped by the guy and should be.

It doesn't matter if it helps or hurts you, it helps/hurts someone and it shouldn't. I'd ask the guy not to do that again politely, then ramp it up to dealer and floor if need be.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Reactions from people not in the hand bug me to no end. While I know they can help any player still in the hand, including me, the paranoia in me gets a little tickle that people could be working together.

That said, in this particular case the knowledge helped you, too. With said loud-mouth announcing that he folded two hearts, you know it's less likely that your opponent has made his flush. Therefore, your two pair is more likely to be good.

Still, I would politely ask that they hold their reactions until after the hand is done next time. If they give you grief, don't push the issue. You've made the dealer aware and a good one may press it for you next time. Further, some jokers will purposefully react to every hand for a while, just to try and goad you. Remember that and your opponents on those hands may make mistakes.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM

If this was limit, then you have some pretty weak-tight opposition. First, the guy folds a flush draw for what was presumably 1 bet on the flop. Then a guy folds the nut flush draw for 1 bet on the turn (if the flop had more than 1 bet, then the turn fold was especially bad). Is the guy who commented new to the game? Most people who do this are new, but new players do not fold flush draws, so I am confused. In any event, the disclosure of info helped you sinced it induced your opponent to make a bad laydown on the turn.

If this was no limit, then the disclosure really had no impact. At the time that you decided on the size of your flop bet, you knew that the most likely draw against you had fewer outs, and you also knew that your opponent had this same info. This enabled you to adjust your bet size accordingly. Whether or not you actually factored this info into your bet size decision is a different matter.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM

During the hand I normally wont say anything, but i do try to distract them. I will try to catch their eye and give them the "what are you doing " look, then( because many times they have no clue what the "look" meant, i clarify...

I ALWAYS take a second after the hand is over and explain to these drama queens that they are in fact revealing a lot of information that they shouldn't be revealing. Usually in a manner similar to..."Sir, I know its unintentional, but you need to be extremely careful of how you react the board cards when you are not involved in a hand. You are giving away a lot of information that can affect what is currently going on in a hand. Its unfair to the players still in the hand."
In most cases, the players( at least several) chime in and agree.

If they do it again , i call the floor.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Many years ago a hand of NL was played with a raise up front, and then folded around to the big blind who called. The flop came 888. A player who had folded says "[censored]" and hits the table. The preflop raiser moves all-in. The big blind who happened to be friends with the guy that hit the table calls instantly. At showdown the preflop raiser shows AA, the big blind has the 4th 8.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 PM

This COULD be innocent. If the drama queen had any pocket pair, then he had a reason to be pissed. Of course, if he had anything else, and if he knew that his buddy had an 8, then this was borderline cheating. Was there any evidence that his buddy told him his hand?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This COULD be innocent. If the drama queen had any pocket pair, then he had a reason to be pissed. Of course, if he had anything else, and if he knew that his buddy had an 8, then this was borderline cheating. Was there any evidence that his buddy told him his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand took place many years ago, long before I worked in this industry. The story was told me and it was implied that the blind had signaled his friend that he had the nuts.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Do you think that AA would not have gone all in on that board without the dramatics? I mean the only thing beating him at that point is the case 8. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Opinions are like *********, everyone's got one. That's why I prefer to go with a good old fashioned nut-kicking. Inspired by america's greatest super-hero, Eric Cartman, the KITN is the generic universal solution to virtually every problem.

Al