Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Default What political opinion did/do youre parents have?

Inspired on borodog thread I was wondering what political opinions did youre parents had.
My mother is a conservative ,my dad is an authoritarian right winger, I remember him telling me that the worse mistake Pinochet ever did was giving the power to the liberals. However my dad is kinda liberal on abortion, drugs and all that stuff.
I have two sisters, one of them is the typical liberal and the other one the typical conservative.
I would describe myself as geolibertarian if I had to use a word.

edit: Im chilean btw( to explain the pinochet quote)
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: What political opinion did/do youre parents have?

My parents are standard naive statists.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My parents are standard naive statists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Mine were pretty apolitical though probably would have responded Kennedy democrats if you asked them at the time...which would make them Republicans today. They put up with my hippie war protesting days, and put up with my enlisting, though I don't think they cared much for either.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 PM

My parents were not strongly opinionated, but they were pretty liberal by U.S. standards (they usually voted Democrat, that is).

I fell in with a bad crowd in high school and became a Limbaugh-style Republican. Under the influence of my step-dad and Ayn Rand, I became a Libertarian minarchist. Eventually I stumbled upon more nuanced and interesting philosophies and, for now, have settled on "civil libertarian and economic 'moderate.'" Nowadays I split my ballot between the Libertarians and Democrats.

I've noticed that almost everyone who talks about this online claims that their political views are very different from that of their parents, but every time I have a chance to personally observe a family, the kids are political clones of mom and dad. This leads me to believe that asking this question here is not going to yield the most accurate, honest, or representative results.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:38 PM

"put up with my hippie war protesting days, and put up with my enlisting"

Just curious if there was a particular event or educational experience that changes your viewpoint.

My dad was always a mainstream Democrat, if anything, he's probably more liberal today at 87; my mom was mostly apolitical but usually voted Democratic.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"put up with my hippie war protesting days, and put up with my enlisting"

Just curious if there was a particular event or educational experience that changes your viewpoint.

My dad was always a mainstream Democrat, if anything, he's probably more liberal today at 87; my mom was mostly apolitical but usually voted Democratic.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a combination of things. The most important were the radicalization of the anti-war movement and the alignment with radicals with other agendas such as the Panthers, and Kent State. When sex, drugs and rock and roll (the motivation of the vast majority of the so called anti-war movement) turned into such a brutal reality that I reassessed what representative government is all about, and the obligation to support things that I didn't necessarily agree with. (The army put a damper on the sex, but there was still plenty of drugs and rock and roll, lol. Night fire with tracers on acid was reallllllyyyy grooovy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It made the transition from fighting to maintain a spot at the foot of the stage at Woodstock to fighting with a drill sergeant a heckuva a lot easier, lol).
Old 08-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Mom - Christian/Catholic Conservative
Dad - Moderate/Democrat leaning
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM

Mostly apolitical, but they supported Bill Clinton. That was probably out of pure charisma, though. They're against Iraq. prohibition, and most other government interventions. I tend to follow in their footsteps.

They keep up the pretense of being Catholic and believe in God but stay out of church.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM

My mother is pretty apolitical, but votes religious-right/conservative. I had a fun argument with her and my grandmother over flag-burning.

My dad is a right-leaning moderate who can't get over how mishandled post-invasion Iraq has been handled. He teaches AP econ, but he's somewhat of a Keynesian who thinks Lincoln, and FDR are two of the greatest presidents EVAR.

I'm a libertarian tempted by the ACers but not 100% sold yet (I have lots more reading to do).