Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Thoughts about this hand.

3/6 Canterbury.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the big blind.

4 callers, I check.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet. MP raises, LP calls, I call.

Turn is a blank.

I check, MP bets, LP calls, I call.

River is a blank (no straight or flush draws).

I check, MP checks, I call, LP bets, I call.

Anything seriously off in my play here? I'll give the rest of the story in a bit.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about this hand.

Did you have any reads on any of those involved?

I would c/r the flop if a bet came from late position to protect against middle/bottom pair, Q10, etc.

As played, I would call down unless LP popped in a raise on turn or river.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM

MP -- tight/not terribly aggressive, but not afraid to raise. IMO -- he's better than average for this level, and is the only opponent at the table who I would say this about.

LP -- Hates his chips, doesn't have a clue. I don't have much respect for him.

Flop Bet -- Do you mean C/R or 3-Bet. As played, C/R wasn't an option, or would you check the TP/meh Kicker here, hoping for the bet? (That's one of my questions)
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP -- tight/not terribly aggressive, but not afraid to raise. IMO -- he's better than average for this level, and is the only opponent at the table who I would say this about.

LP -- Hates his chips, doesn't have a clue. I don't have much respect for him.

Flop Bet -- Do you mean C/R or 3-Bet. As played, C/R wasn't an option, or would you check the TP/meh Kicker here, hoping for the bet? (That's one of my questions)

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what you've now added, still seems like a fold to me. A clarification of "not afraid to raise" could change things though.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks

By not afraid to raise, I'm saying he's not a rock. He generally raised in standard situations, but folded under any kind of pressure unless he had a monster.

Playing the hand, I thought he had me beat, but in my gut, I thought there was a fair chance that he might have raised with a crap kicker.

I was pretty sure -- until the river -- that I had LP beat.

I 'think' based on my guts, I had the right odds on a three-way pot. On the river, I was pretty sure I was beat, but with 8 or 9-1, odds, I couldn't see folding to one bet.(This isn't really why I posted though).
--

What happened with the hand.

As indicated MP folded (later told me he had Ax, unpaired). Consistent with the read, he folded to any pressure. LP, also true to form, showed second pair and was trying to steal the pot.

Afterwards, MP said he was really surprised that I had an A. Since after my initial bet, I became a 'calling station'. I think he was suggesting that I should have made either a three bet on the flop. Check-raising, instead of opening the betting didn't occur to me at the time, and wanted to know whether others would have followed MP's line.

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Great spot to just checkraise the flop. As played go ahead and call the river.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM

in my worthless opinion:

your play seems okay given LP is not to be taken seriously...but normally a weak top pair on the river vs a bet and a call ought to be folded...

villain would limp AJo? ATx? Axs? J5s? 55? seems like a few hands he might play we beat, so calling down seems fine...3 betting the flop might help if define his hand if he reraises, then you could fold...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Hmmm? Live game. No real reads given. I'd say this is a fold w/ no strong draws there.

He's raising you w/ people behind yet to act which is usually strong.

I have to assume that this is a standard more passive than aggressive player until told other wise.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM

tough hand.

I think you can make a turn fold against most players. I'd have to be playing really well to make it though, and i'd have to have a very solid read.

If I was wishy-washy on my read or wasnt reading players/hands well enough, i'd call down as you did. this boils down to your instincts, and how you feel he'd play bigger aces (pre and postflop), and how you feel he'd play weaker aces (pre and postflop).
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM

Flop - If MP is passive release to the raise. If not call as LP may be helping you pad the pot without an A.

Turn - If MP is passive I am sitting quietly watching the action as I have folded my losing hand on the flop. But I am still in the hand with TPWK so I would call.

River - Call

Peace,
Mygtar