Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 AM

Default 100nl: AK vs reg

Villain is jefflauzon. I have him at 16/7/1.7 over a decent sample. I have no notes on him but he seems like a standard TAG.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<u>SB: $104.25</u>
BB: $50.00
UTG: $100.00
UTG+1: $112.80
MP1: $38.00
<u>Hero (MP2): $99.00</u>
MP3: $216.45
CO: $105.40
BTN: $109.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, 3 folds, SB calls $3.50, BB folds

Flop: ($9) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($9) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $6.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $23.00</font>, Hero calls $17.00

River: ($55) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $45.00</font>, Hero ???

Is turn call standard? Baluga theorem would suggest no.

After i call his turn raise he has to think I have an Ace at the worst, so on the river is he repping AQ or does he have the goods?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: 100nl: AK vs reg

He has 99 or 55 I think.

Calling his turn raise narrows your range down to at least an ace, so he's unlikely to try a river bluff (if he was bluffing the turn).

Also, I assume you bet this flop most of the time?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I regularly check behind flops like this. I only get value from AJ (if he even calls PF with that) and the only draw he probably has is JTs.

Is this a leak? what am i missing?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No I regularly check behind flops like this. I only get value from AJ (if he even calls PF with that) and the only draw he probably has is JTs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a set-miner, you should bet the flop and be happy to take it down, because if he has 55, he is NOT going to pay you off if you check anyway! You will only get action when he hits his 2-outer.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 AM

I think all the hands you beat would have bet the turn. So you play against a bluff or a made hand. I donīt see the bluffodds here to call the river and with no reads about him bluffing alot, Iīm not even sure about the turn.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM

I would say you can fold the turn most of the time against this opponent, until you say him making some moves.
river is an easy fold
Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a set-miner, you should bet the flop and be happy to take it down, because if he has 55, he is NOT going to pay you off if you check anyway! You will only get action when he hits his 2-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's good advice. i check these flops a lot when OOP and against an aggressive player.

i probably should be happy to take it down against tags though.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to get yourself into a position of being able to value-bet your strong hands on all 3 streets. Therefore you should be more inclined in value- and c-betting the flop instead of the turn so that people might want to take one card off.
Either way, your turn bet is looking very fishy because it's pretty obvious that the 5 didn't help you. Against solid opponents, you will provoce a lot of raises here that figure that you have either a scared pair other than an A or the A or even a scared A that thinks "TURN RAISE! OMG SET SET SET!" Moreover, you are still as unlikely to get value from a worse hand as you were on the flop, because the 5 didn't help anyone.
And if he actually has a set, he will often go for the c/c flop, c/r turn line, sou you can still excercise pot control very effectively on the turn and even avoid a raise (although you probably have to call a bet on the river).
So IMO either bet the flop or check the turn (and when you do that, you will realize that you have given money away by not betting the flop...).

Edit: corrected a mistake
Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 AM

I think this guy has it here, like almost always. He coulda turned a set of 5's. Even J10 got there.

What's the Baluga Theorem?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this guy has it here, like almost always. He coulda turned a set of 5's. Even J10 got there.

What's the Baluga Theorem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically if you are raised on the turn your one pair is no good.