Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Playing perfect when they don\'t? 77 w/ a flush draw...

Stuck in the midst of an ugly run, I've opted to reduce my number of tables and give each decision my full attention. I'm shooting to, 100 hands at a time, play perfect.

10 handed, two folds and I open-raise 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ... (first question - standard or ok?)

I get three-bet by an unknown in MP, and it's heads-up after I call.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, opponent calls.

Turn is an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I bet and he calls.

River is a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and I check intending to call (obviously).

My logic on the river — either he's been calling with two big cards, looking to hit a spade, or he's been calling with either a made hand or a big pair, hoping that spade didn't hit. I suppose he could have a big pair and a big spade looking to bet or raise the river regardless, but like I said, thus far things have been pretty un-impressive at the table and no one is really standing out.

Thoughts on this one? Boring? Dull? Normal? 'Cause that's what I want...
Old 02-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Playing perfect when they don\'t? 77 w/ a flush draw...

I am a proponent of limping 77, and 88 in the 1,2, or 3 spot, but these decisions are so marginal that it really ought to come down to table conditions.

Frankly, I'm inclined to c/ fold this on the flop. It's going to be well nigh impossible to put your opponent on a hand, and you can easily bet this every street get called down the whole way, and be drawing virtually dead.

The other problem is that I can't see the mp player folding the flop, so you'll have to invest 1.5bb to get yourself a chance at it, and when he calls the turn you've gotta have a sinking feeling.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Playing perfect when they don\'t? 77 w/ a flush draw...

I like the play preflop. I also think it's right to lead-out on the flop. He could easily have had two overs without a spade, and might just give it to you there. I think he would throw in a raise on the flop if he has AJ with no spade. So I think he has a big spade with his flop call, or possibly a pocket pair lower than a J.

That being said, I suppose your bet on the turn is good, because you're ahead if he's chasing a spade or an overcard. It's very unlikely that the 8d helped him.

Since he calls the turn, and the spade hits the river, your check decision seems logical. I'm worried he has the bigger spade, but you are correct that you have to call a bet and find out.

I would've probably played it the same way. Only thing I might have done differently would be a check on the turn.