Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Hand that\'s been haunting me...

This hands been stuck in my mind for while now, probably because I got stacked. Just looking for some feedback, hopefully telling me I played it right and got unlucky.

Game was 1/2 NL at Ceasars in Atlantic City. I had been playing for about an hour and the table was fairly loose/passive preflop and unpredictable postflop. My stack was about $200. I open-limped from MP with 66 and had maybe two more limpers. SB completed and BB checked. Flop comes down 4-6-7 rainbow. SB and BB both check and I made pot-size bet. Everyone folds to BB (stack roughly equal to mine) who min-raises me. I don't know much about BB except that he's pretty lose and I saw him play an opened-ended straight draw pretty aggressively a few hands ago. So I put him on either a straight draw or two-pair and called him. Turn comes a King. BB checks and I shove, thinking he'll fold or he'll have to get lucky to beat me. He instacalls and shows the 5-8 for the straight and I'm off to take a 30 min cigarette break and cool down. F*ck!

Did I play that horribly wrong? Should I have checked behind on the turn after the aggressive flop move?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Hand that\'s been haunting me...

seems like you should push flop if he's got a 2p or str8 draw since he'd not folding either
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 AM

[censored] gimmick or orig used. you suck yes you should have folded.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 AM

call down.. fold if it completes straight obviously.. and to people who say he should have folded quit poker plz.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] gimmick or orig used. you suck yes you should have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me I suck? Eat a dick dude, I am here to learn, not to get insulted.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:05 PM

it's ok, really. I might have shoved the flop though
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Maybe try the full ring forum...

try posting this in a better format to make it more readable...I'd like to know pot size, stack sizes.

As far as I can tell...your turn shove was a ridiculous overbet. Something like $175 into a $50 pot? That's a rrrreally bad play considering the BB saw the flop for free and he minraised you on this board. I mean...it's basically a bad play 99.99% of the time no matter what the board and what your hand is just based on the bet size and pot size.

Try 4betting flop?

edit: pot size on flop and flop advice...miscalculated the flop.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Isn't 4-betting flop same thing as what I did? You mean bet 4x pot after he checks or 4 bet his min raise? The later would have been $120, not much less than my stack.

villian's check on the turn threw me off... thought 2 pair was more unlikely than the straight draw after that, but still thought he could have 88-99 or something like AJ that he played in a weird way. I wanted to make sure he didn't draw out on me or I was hoping to make myself look weak with an overbet inducing a call with a worse hand.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:06 AM

the overbet encourages villain to play perfect. i.e. fold his draw; or consider folding his 2pair.

If you just bet something like $35 then you let the draw consider calling (which is a mistake) and you still get action from 2pair. I'm sure 2pair is calling $35 more than he is calling $175 or whatever you had.

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to make sure he didn't draw out on me

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let the fact that you don't want him to draw out on you effect your decision. Only worry about making the correct poker decision in terms of EV. If he calls a normal sized bet with his draw with one card to come he is making a mistake...go ahead and let him. If he draws out then he draws out.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:41 AM

the overbet scares away everything you want him in there with, and pays off a flopped straight/set of 7s. The only hand overbet works verse on turn is 444.