Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Adjustments from 6max to FR

I've read all about making the adjustment from FR to 6max, but nothing going in the other direction.

Played my first 1000 hands ever of Full Ring NL today. Made money, but I'm sure my play was far from optimal.

Coming from a 6max background, I still cannot bring myself to open-limp from any position. So I end up either raising a hand like 33 UTG or folding it.

I also find myself raising limpers from the CO or Button with some really freaking marginal hands, only to see that people were open-limping stuff like AQo or TT.

In 6max, I'm usually about 26/16 playing a positional semi-LAG style. In FR today, I was 20/15 doing about the same thing (Att to Steal Blinds 46% FTW!). Is this way too loose for FR?

Are there any really good threads about making the adjustment to FR? Any advice you can give me?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Adjustments from 6max to FR

[ QUOTE ]

Coming from a 6max background, I still cannot bring myself to open-limp from any position. So I end up either raising a hand like 33 UTG or folding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find arguments about this very thing in this forum, but you can raise this is you want.

[ QUOTE ]
I also find myself raising limpers from the CO or Button with some really freaking marginal hands, only to see that people were open-limping stuff like AQo or TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're nits. Bet more.

[ QUOTE ]
In 6max, I'm usually about 26/16 playing a positional semi-LAG style. In FR today, I was 20/15 doing about the same thing (Att to Steal Blinds 46% FTW!). Is this way too loose for FR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its looser than most TAGs. Its not "too" loose though, especially if you play well postflop, and given that you're coming from 6-max I'm going to assume you can.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any really good threads about making the adjustment to FR? Any advice you can give me?

[/ QUOTE ]

The usual. Post and respond to hands, put int the hours, etc., etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I barely tried so I probably don't deserve any thinks, but keep postin' and I'll keep respondin'.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Hijack:

I'm in the same situation as OP. Today I've played my first 800 hands of fullring for over 15 months and I'm finding it an interesting change from 6 max, which I've played for the last 2 years. I was going to start a topic about some basics but they can go here now.

1. should I play mp2 the same at I play utg at 6max? i.e. 1st into the pot raise: 22+ AJo+ KQo ATs+ KJs+ 54s-QJs.

2. about limping utg, is it ok to do so with suited broadway if the table is passive?

3. 3-betting? what's the general consensus other than '3bet lags with position'

4. After limpers, which hands should I be avoiding? I'm guessing it is stuff like unsuited broadways.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. After limpers, which hands should I be avoiding? I'm guessing it is stuff like unsuited broadways.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, I've always raised limpers with hands like ATo and KJo (sometimes hands a lot weaker, if table conditions are right). So I'm wondering about this too.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 AM

yo chill out on isolating limpers if there is too many of them and you like your hand just limp behind, it will be hard to see heads up pots like you do in 6m
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yo chill out on isolating limpers if there is too many of them and you like your hand just limp behind, it will be hard to see heads up pots like you do in 6m

[/ QUOTE ]

I vehemently disagree with this

position, position, position

raise limpers with almost the same hands you would open-raise with
c-bet liberally if it's 2-handed and 3-handed in the right situations

but, give more credit when they play back at you

the average hand is much stronger in fullring than 6 max

biggest adjustment is to be very, very tight in the first 3 positions or so

position is so important
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, I've always raised limpers with hands like ATo and KJo (sometimes hands a lot weaker, if table conditions are right). So I'm wondering about this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mis read the post. Will reply later.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. should I play mp2 the same at I play utg at 6max? i.e. 1st into the pot raise: 22+ AJo+ KQo ATs+ KJs+ 54s-QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right.

[ QUOTE ]
2. about limping utg, is it ok to do so with suited broadway if the table is passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't, but I suppose its OK.

[ QUOTE ]
3. 3-betting? what's the general consensus other than '3bet lags with position'

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll see less of it than at 6-max, but I've had success with it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands like ATo and KJo, if you raise and see a flop you will likely be dominated, so proceeded with caution. People tend to be tighter in fullring, so their hands tend to be better, but it also opens up a lot of 3-betting and c-betting opportunities.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Playing a 20/15 style is fine for FR. I have switched back to a 22/17 style from my old 14/7 style and my winrate has increased tremendously. I am also an ex 6max player that made the switch to FR.

Continue to pound the limpers with all sorts of hands from the CO and the button. If your postflop play is good enough, a 46% steal percentage is fine at FR. And yeah continue raising with k,j and a,10 when in position.

One last thing to note, I think it also depends what limits you are playing at to determine if a 20/15 style will be successful. At 50nl and below I don't think it would be that successful, probably a more ABC 14/7 style would be more profitable. At 100nl and above I think it would be fine playing 20/15.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:10 PM

OK, thanks for the tips.

...and WTF is up with all the limp-reraising? Do they actually have what they represent, or are they just sick of me raising on the Button with crap every time they limp?