Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Beat: My trip to Cuba may be mucked

I am taking the CA Bar Exam in like a week, and planned as post-exam travel a trip to Mexico to meet up with my cousin. She is a UK citizen and plans after a few weeks to head over to Cuba. I have UK citizenship as well, and was gonna just pop over with her on my UK passport and forget to tell customs the details. But then I started doing some research....

Turns out that if I pretty much don't tell Customs that I went to Cuba, it would constitute perjury --> which may be enough to get me disbarred. So as much as I would love to see Castro's regime before that [censored] goes, looks like I am going to have to be fair and honest with Uncle Sam.

Here is a summary of the law on point to those subject to US jurisdiction:
[ QUOTE ]
The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions related to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations will face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that its actually not illegal for me to "step foot" in Cuban soil, but rather for me to engage in any transactions getting to and from there and while I am there.

So I am thinking what if my cousin pays for me? FFFFF this sucks.

Am I being a pussy? Should I just gogogogo?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Beat: My trip to Cuba may be mucked

Just dont go to Cuba, [censored] the communists!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 AM

Doesn't it seem a little weird that a law would let you go to Cuba, but not come back?

You're reading this wrong. You just CAN'T use a third country's travel agency. (meaning that once you're in Cuba, you have to use an American airline to get home)

Buy a round trip ticket aforen you leave the U.S. and you won't even have to sweat it.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 AM

Wait, I think I might've read it wrong. This time when I re-read it, it looks like the law says: "DO NOT F**KING GO TO CUBA UNLESS IT'S ON BUSINESS"

Have your cousin commit a crime in Cuba and get your license to go there for representing her. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 AM

If you use your UK passport, wouldn't that make you subject to UK jurisdiction and hence that law would be invalid?

By the way, why the hell can't the US get over this whole Cuba thing? The cold war [censored] ended almost 2 decades ago for christ's sake! No other country in the world has embargoes vs Cuba. Get the [censored] over it!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 AM

dont forget to strap some heroin to your body like in that one movie about that guy taping heroin to his body and then getting busted in turkey
Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont forget to strap some heroin to your body like in that one movie about that guy taping heroin to his body and then getting busted in turkey

[/ QUOTE ]

can i f you
Old 07-17-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you use your UK passport, wouldn't that make you subject to UK jurisdiction and hence that law would be invalid?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a US citizen, I am pretty much always be subject to their laws no matter where I am unless compliance with both is impossible. Then it gets tricky.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, I think I might've read it wrong. This time when I re-read it, it looks like the law says: "DO NOT F**KING GO TO CUBA UNLESS IT'S ON BUSINESS"

Have your cousin commit a crime in Cuba and get your license to go there for representing her. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - she prob will get in [censored] if i dont go with her that lil vixen

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it seem a little weird that a law would let you go to Cuba, but not come back?

You're reading this wrong. You just CAN'T use a third country's travel agency. (meaning that once you're in Cuba, you have to use an American airline to get home)

Buy a round trip ticket aforen you leave the U.S. and you won't even have to sweat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not understanding how you got that interpretation. Was it just from the paragraph I quoted? Or you reading somewhere else?

I think US beef with using 3rd country travel agency is only that US money is simply funneled through a third country to purchase travel tickets that would be illegal if I purchased them directly.