Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Default big argument over super std hand

6h 15/30 on FTP:

i post my first BB in the game. i get dealt AJo in BB, unknown CO opens, i 3bet. he caps and i call.

flop comes pretty dry and ace high. what is my plan?

i still dont play that much LHE so i am still unsure of the best lines and blabla but this hand kinda represents some of the things that confuse me about LHE theory. i already know its a WA/WB situation of sorts and i know people will tell me its a standard c/c c/c c/c line or whatever.

but it is a LP vs BB situation in a SH online limit game. it feels incredibly weak and predictable to go for pot control when i hit gin, does it not? how can it be game theoretically defendable to use the same line with QQ or similar (i would def c/c c/c c/c given the aggression and spewiness of online) as i do with AJo in this situation?

can it really be correct to put in ONE BET on each street with this hand? i REALLY want to put in more - am i wrong in wanting to do so? what lines can i use to accomplish this? and if it indeed IS correct to not put in more bets than one, what is the cut off hand you would want to raise with at some point?

in the end the line i took was donk/called flop, check/called turn and bet river planning to fold (turn and river where both brix). what do you think of that line?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: big argument over super std hand

dude just bloat the pot preflop with high cards, then when you hit a flop bloat it some more, and then you have odds to call down later streets regardless of what comes

that is limit!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:44 PM

lol

If you're looking to put some bets in, I like cr'ing the flop, specially against an unknown.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM

How's a c/c c/c donk?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How's a c/c c/c donk?

[/ QUOTE ]

but your donk doesn't let a worse hand bluff, and lets the massive hand crush
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM

yeah ive always really really disliked that line it seems very $2/$4 2004.

if i c/r and then lead turn and he raises, i am guessing i have to fold? doesnt that really really reallllly SUCK against someone savvy? and if i AM showdown bound, doesnt putting in two big bets on the turn suck just as much?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How's a c/c c/c donk?

[/ QUOTE ]

but your donk doesn't let a worse hand bluff, and lets the massive hand crush

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the standard wa/wb line (although the standard line is b/f the river, but I'm not sure I can find a fold here). We bet the river because villain will often check behind with a big PP, but he'll usually call one more bet with it. After he caps PF, there really aren't many hands he should have that don't have at least a pair now (maybe KQs), but he'd probably check through the turn with that.

I'm not sure this line really applies as much playing 6-max, though. Someone who doesn't suck at SH play could provide more insight here (or take it to the MHSH forum).
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 AM

I like to defend BB with a call PF, CR the flop if I hit anything at all, and lead turn. Then see what happens.

I don't get the WA/WB reference here. The CO's range here is probably pretty broad. You have top pair and at least a decent kicker.

If he were to re-raise your flop CR then I could see maybe thinking about WA/WB and perhaps even gearing down a little.

bc
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 AM

there's no chance to fold your hand here, get that out of your mind. c/r'ing the flop is good against the right opponent, but there's really nothing wrong with playing this one passively cuz you realy are wa/wb and don't know anything about the player you are up against.

the shorthanded online advice in this forum is bound to be MUCH worse than the sssh or mhsh forums.