Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Minraising - play along hand

We all face a lot of minraises - which, since it usually reflects a weak player is a good thing. However, there is a place for minraises. Is this one of them?
Edit: Villain's 2nd hand - no read
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $21.00
BB: $14.05
UTG: $27.65
CO: $39.85
Hero (BTN): $25.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, SB calls $0.90, BB folds

Flop: ($2.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>

Villain played this very strangely so if this post gets any interest I'll add the subsequent action piece by piece to see how you'd play it from here.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Minraising - play along hand

I don't want to act like a douchebag but.. there is NO place for a minraise EVER.
It totaly gives away your hand right here.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM

I'm a firm believer in "any rule in poker that says 'always' or 'never' is always wrong".

I'm still searching for a good reason to minraise because its probably almost "never". I disagree it gives away my hand completely...the minraise is often a probe or a bluff and its used so often that it doesn't raise a lot of suspicion...at least at 25NL.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a firm believer in "any rule in poker that says 'always' or 'never' is always wrong".

I'm still searching for a good reason to minraise because its probably almost "never". I disagree it gives away my hand completely...the minraise is often a probe or a bluff and its used so often that it doesn't raise a lot of suspicion...at least at 25NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with you that there is a use for a min raise at times..I am not sure if this is one of them???? Our hand is a MONSTER(but vulnerable) and we want as much money to go in as possible...

In this hand why do you feel a min raise is greater then a normal raise or a call????
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 AM

I don't min raise as generally I like to keep the pressure on- when I can potentially see it as useful is when I am confident with what I hold and can see my value somehow increasing by bloating the pot discreetly. But I just find that these attempts look so suspicious that I dare not try it, I usually take my chances and raise or slowplay, I suppose min raising potentially exists between those two options somewhere.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Whats your own thinking, why do you minraise?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Go to say im with Jouster one this one. We all know the best game plan in poker is to adapt to your enviroment. If we remain rigid and say never do this and never do that then surely that gives away more about our play?

You play the hand as you see fit and as opitimally as possible at the time given the envrioment, min raising gives great odds if you have monster. Some times a series of min raises on every street will do a better job of getting villain all in than a 3bet on the flop which is easier for villain to fold, lets face some fold to aggression.

NEVER SAY NEVER! I rarely min raise but would use it at the drop of a hat if i felt it was the best route.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM

I don't get why you would want to min raise in this spot. Hero has TPTK and the NFD. We want to get as much money in the middle as possible. Villain seems to like his hand given his opening bet. 3-bet and hope he protects against the flush.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you would want to min raise in this spot. Hero has TPTK and the NFD. We want to get as much money in the middle as possible. Villain seems to like his hand given his opening bet. 3-bet and hope he protects against the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed.

also, i am of the "don't buy never/always" camp. i think there are definitely places were a minR is not the worst play given all its various meanings...this spot however, IMO, is not one of them. lets get money in the middle here.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree it gives away my hand completely...the minraise is often a probe or a bluff and its used so often that it doesn't raise a lot of suspicion...at least at 25NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree w/ reading a min raise as a probe. A min bet, ok. But a min raise? I can't imagine trying to find out where I stand by min raising a bettor who has already indicated at least some kind of strength. Unless I want it to be perceived as a strong move, in which case it's not really a probe.