Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Starting an Internet poker advocacy 527/PAC

I figured the discussion of setting up an Internet poker advocacy 527/PAC deserved its own thread (earlier discussion is at Vulnerable House Internet Poker Opponents). It may be time for us to step up our advocacy efforts.

Questions: Do you all think we should do this? Are there viable alternatives, such as trying to push PPA into action (see Request for more member outreach by PPA (on the PPA website)? Who wants to participate? Anyone here experienced in leading a 527 or a PAC?

It sounds daunting, but it's doable. I imagine we’d start small, score some victories, and earn donations and recognition. This would lead to more members, bigger victories, and more donations. After a few cycles, we’d be big enough to make a difference.

Also, to do this we need a leader, someone experienced at running a PAC/527. Is anyone here with free time and a lot of energy ready to step up?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Starting an Internet poker advocacy 527/PAC

from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...17/ai_18300113

We plan to start a political action committee. Any advice?

1. Determine the purpose of your PAC. Do you plan to contribute to numerous candidates? Will you participate in both federal and non-federal races? Is your PAC primarily in-state or multi-state? Do you intend to make independent expenditures? Your answers will determine the rules and agencies governing your PAC.

2. File a "Statement of Organization" with the appropriate election authority, such as the FEC, state ethics commission, secretary of state, board of elections, etc.

3. Appoint a treasurer before accepting contributions or making disbursements. Responsibilities include filing reports, depositing funds, keeping records and ensuring compliance with finance laws at all times, including non-election years. PACs cannot receive contributions or make disbursements when the treasurer's office is vacant.

4. Obtain a taxpayer ID number from the IRS. Apply for employer-identification number, even if committee has no staff. Be prepared to pay taxes on interest and dividends.

5. Open a checking account. On finance reports, list name and address of bank with PAC deposits.

6. Become familiar with rules governing PACs. Federal law allows certain bills to be paid directly by sponsoring organizations; for example: office space, phones, salaries, utilities, supplies, bank charges, and fundraising costs. Consult state and local laws to determine what is allowed.

Also, determine the rules on soliciting contributions from employees or members of labor unions. Federal law limits solicitations (no more than twice a year); prohibits direct solicitation at work (mail to home it permitted); and requires that individuals be informed of their right to refuse (and remain anonymous if non-participant or nominal contributor).

Finally, dissolve the committee when you expect no further PAC activity. This usually requires an affidavit signed by the treasurer stating that all reportable activity is complete.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Some 527 info is available on Wikipedia, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527_group .
Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 PM

I'd support it so count me in.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 PM

I would be willing to volunteer for this. I am in PA for the summer and VA for the school year.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:55 PM

As mentioned in the previous thread, I can devote some time to fundraising. However, I don't have the time to handle the treasury function and all the paperwork, etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Starting an Internet poker advocacy 527/PACI have experience w/ s

I kind of assumed that the PPA either was going to start a PAC or had already done so.

Since that's obviously not the case, there is absolutely no reason why a PAC that represents the interests of poker players shouldn't exist. I wouldn't want to undermine any of the efforts of the PPA, but a PAC/527 could would be able to make a difference both in Congress and by changing public perception of this issue. Would the purpose of the committee be primarily to defeat candidates for office or change public opinion?

I have experience w/ setting up and maintaining PACs in Vermont, where I live currently, and would definitely like to help out. I also have a good amount of experience w/ political fundraising but only on a local/statewide level as well as a couple of contacts who are familiar w/ fundraising at thinktanks in DC. I don't know if they'd be necessarily sympathetic to our cause but they'd certainly offer me assistance and guidance if I asked for it.

At any rate, I'm leaving Vermont in August and would love to be more involved with this in some way. If you'd like, I'd be happy at least to try and work on a plan for this venture (with more details concerning the size of the potential fundraising pool, etc).
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 AM

Who's in?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Count me in some where.

obg
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah I mean it should be clear from my earlier post that I'm definitely in w/ whatever we decide to do. I also agree that the ideal place for a PAC would, at this point, be under the auspices of the PPA. If that's not in the cards there should at least be a small one. We could certainly do this with some input from the PPA (although not too much input so it doesn't look like the PPA is effectively acting like a 527).