Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Effect of new Absolute Bad beat rules?

Absolute put in the bad beat a couple of weeks ago, but recently they changed their terms. Now any pot in which more than 4 people were dealt cards that sees a flop gets jackpot dropped for .50. Also, to hit the jackpot, quad 8s need to be beaten.

For one, I haven't noticed any change in the game quality as a result of the jackpot at .5/1NL. My question is, I'm a very aggressive and "small-ball" player at NL, so I take down a lot of pots per hour, probably more than any other player at my table on average.Is this jackpot absolutely devastating my winnings? Anyone else have this problem?

I went into PT to check out the actual effect. I found my "Saw flop all hands" stat and multiplied it by my "won money when saw flop." That translates to my winning 10.705% of the hands I am dealt. thus, 10.705 hands per 100 hands I am losing out on .50. In short, $5.35.

My PTBB/100 is negatively affected by 2.17BB/100. Total horsecrap. For an hourly figure, that's almost $22/hr that I am losing. If anyone can show what the EV of the jackpot is at a 6max, that would be helpful.

As of this calculation, I am extremely pissed off.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Effect of new Absolute Bad beat rules?

AP has changed the terms on it several times so there is no telling what is around the corner. I have to think a $.50/$1 NL game in virtually unbeatable with this extra rake. If you can beat it then your win rate is going to be much lower.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 PM

I haven't played absolute in a while, but arent there tables that aren't bad beat tables?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played absolute in a while, but arent there tables that aren't bad beat tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but at his limit the FR are 6 for 6 BBJ tables and 6 max with 4+ players there are 24 BBJ tables out of 28.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM

It has pumped new life into low-limit full ring games. After having hardly played a hand at Absolute in the last six months, I've started playing regularly on the days when the jackpot is relatively large. It seems no two people can agree on how large it has to be to be +EV but my estimate (based on Brian Alspach's calculation, with a few fudge factors) is that I'm willing to play at Absolute anytime the BBJ is over about 110k.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Basically all small stakes and lower games are unbeatable now...

I'm definately not counting any EV gained from a potential jackpot hit. But I have never had quad-anything beat before over a million hands played.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I have never had quad-anything beat before over a million hands played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are due.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I have never had quad-anything beat before over a million hands played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are due.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, I've never won the Powerball....
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolute put in the bad beat a couple of weeks ago, but recently they changed their terms. Now any pot in which more than 4 people were dealt cards that sees a flop gets jackpot dropped for .50. Also, to hit the jackpot, quad 8s need to be beaten.

For one, I haven't noticed any change in the game quality as a result of the jackpot at .5/1NL. My question is, I'm a very aggressive and "small-ball" player at NL, so I take down a lot of pots per hour, probably more than any other player at my table on average.Is this jackpot absolutely devastating my winnings? Anyone else have this problem?

I went into PT to check out the actual effect. I found my "Saw flop all hands" stat and multiplied it by my "won money when saw flop." That translates to my winning 10.705% of the hands I am dealt. thus, 10.705 hands per 100 hands I am losing out on .50. In short, $5.35.

My PTBB/100 is negatively affected by 2.17BB/100. Total horsecrap. For an hourly figure, that's almost $22/hr that I am losing. If anyone can show what the EV of the jackpot is at a 6max, that would be helpful.

As of this calculation, I am extremely pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming thatthe size of the pots are the same as before the BBJ. According to my PT, the avg pot size at 1/2 has increased by about 60% (from $6 to $9+). The softness in the games seems to have made the game more profitable for me than what it was before.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM

More rake + more variance = more alcohol consumption = faster liver damage than normal = -EV