Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 AM

Default advice for taking a shot at 200?

Ok guys I'm thinking about taking a shot at 200 again. I've been at (mostly) 100 for quite a while now and I feel very comfortable. Any tips? I know I will have trouble calling people down light like I can now without much worry. Should I just try it and see what happens? This is at stars if it matters at all.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: advice for taking a shot at 200?

If you want to PM me your name, I can give you my thoughts on your game and some advice for NL200 and look at a few hands even if you want...

Basically my advice is that, don't feel you need to play any different or more fancy just because its higher...Basically, if you have been winning at NL100 much of the same will lead to winning at NL200, don't worry too much about making adjustments or playing differently the games aren't that much different.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 AM

no.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 AM

Divide however many tables you usually play by like 4 for starters.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 AM

AVOID FANCY PLAY SYNDROME AT ALL COSTS!!!

Remember that you are an unknown to them - they're likely not playing back at you specifically. If someone 3bets you twice in two rounds, don't go for an out of position 4bet with AJo if he does it again later. Take your time, gather your information for real reads based on showdown hands, then use them.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 AM

I'm not too worried about trying to get too fancy. Every time I try to "make a move" that should work I get called down by 3rd pair on a 4flush board or something...so I've just about given up. People are too dumb to lay down hands for the most part.

I think I just need to have the balls, but not be TOO ballsy. I've gotten soooo comfy at 100 that I am really just afraid to mess with a good thing. I've got the roll for it so I guess maybe I'll take a shot tomorrow. How are the US daytime games compared to 100?

How many of you guys have taken a shot or two and fallen back to the old standby?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you guys have taken a shot or two and fallen back to the old standby?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me. I've done really, really well at .50/1 for five solid months. I've played close to 2500 hands at 1/2 (yes, that's nothing), and it has sucked. Coolers, suckouts, etc. It's variance, but dropping 4 BIs there feels like 8 BIs. I've just lost all confidence when I play there, and I've started to expect bad things (which is obviously a recipe for disaster). If you hit a cold deck or get uber-tilted by the twice-as-expensive suckouts like me, drop back down for awhile.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Me. I've done really, really well at .50/1 for five solid months. I've played close to 2500 hands at 1/2 (yes, that's nothing), and it has sucked. Coolers, suckouts, etc. It's variance, but dropping 4 BIs there feels like 8 BIs. I've just lost all confidence when I play there, and I've started to expect bad things (which is obviously a recipe for disaster). If you hit a cold deck or get uber-tilted by the twice-as-expensive suckouts like me, drop back down for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just so pessimistic right now after what happened to me. This is spot on.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 AM

A few prerequisites of mine:

-You have the bankroll
-Getting wrecked again won't destroy your confidence at your current limit
-You're not coming into $200 NL with the outlook that "I'll probably run bad/do terribly"
-If you're not ready now, sweat 4 tables of 1/2 and make notes on all the regulars (make notes on everyone, but specifically target the regulars, obviously)
-Play 4 tables only and watch everything carefully
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few prerequisites of mine:

-You have the bankroll
-Getting wrecked again won't destroy your confidence at your current limit
-You're not coming into $200 NL with the outlook that "I'll probably run bad/do terribly"
-If you're not ready now, sweat 4 tables of 1/2 and make notes on all the regulars (make notes on everyone, but specifically target the regulars, obviously)
-Play 4 tables only and watch everything carefully

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice.